upstart service scripts for svnserve?

K Richard Pixley
Where can I find service scripts for debian/ubuntu for starting svnserve
as a system service?

This should be in the documentation, I'm thinking, given how many
distros have left xinitd for upstart.  I'm surprised that it's not there
already.

--rich

Re: upstart service scripts for svnserve?

Nico Kadel-Garcia-2
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM, K Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Where can I find service scripts for debian/ubuntu for starting svnserve
> as a system service?
>
> This should be in the documentation, I'm thinking, given how many
> distros have left xinitd for upstart.  I'm surprised that it's not there
> already.
>
> --rich

They've been switching much more to systemd. I'd look in the latest
published package from your favorite Debian or Ubuntu repository, and
use "dpkg" to get a list of its files.

Re: upstart service scripts for svnserve?

Branko Čibej
On 16.03.2017 10:29, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM, K Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Where can I find service scripts for debian/ubuntu for starting svnserve
>> as a system service?
>>
>> This should be in the documentation, I'm thinking, given how many
>> distros have left xinitd for upstart.  I'm surprised that it's not there
>> already.
>>
>> --rich
> They've been switching much more to systemd. I'd look in the latest
> published package from your favorite Debian or Ubuntu repository, and
> use "dpkg" to get a list of its files.

Indeed; the Subversion project publishes only source code. Packaging,
init scripts etc. are done by distro maintainers.

It would actually be counter-productive for the project to provide SysV
init, upstart or systemd scripts, since every distro has different rules
and structure for these things.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:00 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16.03.2017 10:29, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM, K Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Where can I find service scripts for debian/ubuntu for starting svnserve
>>> as a system service?
>>>
>>> This should be in the documentation, I'm thinking, given how many
>>> distros have left xinitd for upstart.  I'm surprised that it's not there
>>> already.
>>>
>>> --rich
>> They've been switching much more to systemd. I'd look in the latest
>> published package from your favorite Debian or Ubuntu repository, and
>> use "dpkg" to get a list of its files.
>
> Indeed; the Subversion project publishes only source code. Packaging,
> init scripts etc. are done by distro maintainers.
>
> It would actually be counter-productive for the project to provide SysV
> init, upstart or systemd scripts, since every distro has different rules
> and structure for these things.

Also, I've had good success for.... roughly 10 years now with using
svn+ssh instead of directly exposing svnserve or using the HTTPS based
access. It does take key management, but helps protect people from the
longstanding risks of accidentally using the same passphrase for
svnserve or web access as for other services, and accidentally letting
the svn client store passphrases in clear text in $HOME/.subverison/.

On 3/16/17 02:29 , Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM, K Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Where can I find service scripts for debian/ubuntu for starting svnserve
>> as a system service?
>>
>> This should be in the documentation, I'm thinking, given how many
>> distros have left xinitd for upstart.  I'm surprised that it's not there
>> already.
>>
>> --rich
> They've been switching much more to systemd. I'd look in the latest
> published package from your favorite Debian or Ubuntu repository, and
> use "dpkg" to get a list of its files.
Have.  No joy.

--rich

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM, K Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/16/17 02:29 , Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM, K Richard Pixley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Where can I find service scripts for debian/ubuntu for starting svnserve
>>> as a system service?
>>>
>>> This should be in the documentation, I'm thinking, given how many
>>> distros have left xinitd for upstart.  I'm surprised that it's not there
>>> already.
>>>
>>> --rich
>> They've been switching much more to systemd. I'd look in the latest
>> published package from your favorite Debian or Ubuntu repository, and
>> use "dpkg" to get a list of its files.
> Have.  No joy.

*Really*? I'm surprised. Could it be in an ancilliary package,
"subversion-svnserve" or the like? I admit I've not been dealing with
Debian lately, and the HTTP based access to Subversion seems to be
more common.

You might consider just using "svn+ssh", maybe with a locked down SSH
daemon on another port, just to avoid the issue. I'm very sure that
*openssh* has systemd based init scripts suitable for tweaking.