update runs forever

David Aldrich-4

Hi

I am running svn 1.9.5 on Windows 10.

We run many repos under svn, and they have run fine for years.

In the last 24 hours one of our svn repositories has started exhibiting problems.  When I run ‘svn update’ against one of its branches the update does not complete, it hangs.

I have tried with other clients, the result is the same. I have to kill the update and run cleanup.  Other users see the same problem.

How can I identify the cause of this problem please?

Best regards

David

Re: update runs forever

Stefan Hett-2
On 3/8/2017 11:39 AM, David Aldrich wrote:

Hi

I am running svn 1.9.5 on Windows 10.

We run many repos under svn, and they have run fine for years.

In the last 24 hours one of our svn repositories has started exhibiting problems.  When I run ‘svn update’ against one of its branches the update does not complete, it hangs.

I have tried with other clients, the result is the same. I have to kill the update and run cleanup.  Other users see the same problem.

How can I identify the cause of this problem please?

Best regards

David

Can you open the Windows task manager while the update seems to be stuck and check the process information of the svn-update process? Can you determine whether CPU or disk-access is at 100% during the time? If not, is the process' CPU usage changing (between 0 and 0.1%) or is it completely stuck at 0%?

Do you have the option of checking the server load when this happens? I.e. if the server is running on Windows, check the task manager of the server-side svn process. Is that at 100% during the "stuck" update process?

Did you test whether a clean/fresh check out of the branch solves the problem?

Stefan Hett

RE: update runs forever

David Aldrich-4

Hi Stefan

Thanks for your reply.  Windows task manager shows 0% cpu for the Windows command processor running svn update.

I don't have access to the server at the moment (it runs on Linux and is under corporate control).

A colleague tried a fresh checkout with a sparse checkout of branches (immediate directories only). That ran ok. But an update of a branch, setting depth to infinity, hangs.  Updates to trunk are ok.

BR

David

Re: update runs forever

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM, David Aldrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>From: Stefan Hett [mailto:[hidden email]]
>>> Can you open the Windows task manager while the update seems to be stuck and check the process information of the svn-update process? Can you determine whether CPU or disk-access is at 100% during the time? If not, is the process' CPU usage changing (between 0 and 0.1%) or is it completely stuck at 0%?
>>>
>>> Do you have the option of checking the server load when this happens? I.e. if the server is running on Windows, check the task manager of the server-side svn process. Is that at 100% during the "stuck" update process?
>>> Did you test whether a clean/fresh check out of the branch solves the problem?
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Stefan Hett
>>>

> Hi Stefan
>
> Thanks for your reply.  Windows task manager shows 0% cpu for the Windows command processor running svn update.
>
> I don't have access to the server at the moment (it runs on Linux and is under corporate control).
>
> A colleague tried a fresh checkout with a sparse checkout of branches (immediate directories only). That ran ok. But an update of a branch, setting depth to infinity, hangs.  Updates to trunk are ok.
>
> BR
>
> David

Maybe the process is fully occupied doing disk or network I/O. In
Windows Task Manager, can you add the columns "I/O read", "I/O write",
"I/O other" and "I/O read bytes", "I/O write bytes", "I/O other bytes"
(via View > Select columns), and check if you see activity there?

Is there anything special about that branch you're trying to update?
Is it specific to that branch, and other branches work fine?

Maybe someone made a mistake with that branch in the repository (e.g.
server-side copied from the wrong level, or perhaps someone created an
infinite recursion of "svn:externals" definitions in there)? See if
you can browse the branch with a repository browser (with TortoiseSVN,
or via 'svn ls $URL' and 'svn proplist -v -R $URL' (for seeing the
svn:externals properties) from the command line) and look for anything
out of the ordinary.

Re: update runs forever

Daniel Shahaf-2
Johan Corveleyn wrote on Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 12:17:55 +0100:
> Is there anything special about that branch you're trying to update?
> Is it specific to that branch, and other branches work fine?

You said the problem started in the last 24 hours, so check what changes
were made to the branch around that timeframe.

RE: update runs forever

David Aldrich-4

My best guess is that it was caused by a file committed recently with spaces in the file name. I have removed the spaces and the update seem ok now. But that may be coincidental.

Thanks for your help,

David