timed out waiting for server

Normen Mueller
He,

    I just tried an update on a working copy and got the following error:

svn: timed out waiting for server
svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/kohlhase'

Then I tried 'svn' client and it worked nicely.

    Unfortunately this happened on a closed repository, i.e. I can't give you access to it, but how can I enable a fine logging in SVNKit (I am totally new to log4j or things like that :-() so that we might find out what happened?

    Or do you already have any ideas what could have happened?

Cheers,
  /nm

Re: timed out waiting for server

Normen Mueller
Normen Müller wrote:

> He,
>
>    I just tried an update on a working copy and got the following error:
>
> svn: timed out waiting for server
> svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/kohlhase'
>
> Then I tried 'svn' client and it worked nicely.
>
>    Unfortunately this happened on a closed repository, i.e. I can't give
> you access to it, but how can I enable a fine logging in SVNKit (I am
> totally new to log4j or things like that :-() so that we might find out
> what happened?
>    Or do you already have any ideas what could have happened?
>
> Cheers,
>  /nm

Actually I just figured out, that this problem only occurs when I'm using WLAN!  As soon as I switch WLAN off and connect to LAN the update works right away.  Maybe this info could help...

Cheers,
  /nm

Re: timed out waiting for server

Alexander Sinyushkin
Hello Normen,

Please, follow this instructions https://wiki.svnkit.com/Troubleshooting
on enabling logging in SVNKit.

----
Alexander Sinyushkin,
TMate Software,
http://svnkit.com/ - Java [Sub]Versioning Library!

Alexander Sinyushkin wrote:
> Hello Normen,
>
> Please, follow this instructions https://wiki.svnkit.com/Troubleshooting
> on enabling logging in SVNKit.

We figured out the cause:  It is a dissfunctional proxy!  However 'svn' somehow manages to perform, for example, an update even with this proxy?! If we disable this proxy 'jsvn' works just fine over wlan.

Here is a log from one of my colleagues:

Sep 24, 2008 11:17:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINE: NETWORK: Keep-Alive timeout detected
Sep 24, 2008 11:17:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINE: NETWORK: Using proxy proxy.math.uni-bonn.de (secured=true)
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINE: NETWORK: connect timed out
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:432)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.SVNSocketConnection.run(SVNSocketConnection.java:57)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINE: NETWORK: svn: timed out waiting for server
java.lang.Exception: svn: timed out waiting for server
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:548)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:257)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:245)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVConnection.exchangeCapabilities(DAVConnection.java:454)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVConnection.open(DAVConnection.java:97)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVRepository.openConnection(DAVRepository.java:644)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVRepository.getRepositoryUUID(DAVRepository.java:143)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNBasicClient.createRepository(SVNBasicClient.java:351)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNBasicClient.createRepository(SVNBasicClient.java:339)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNUpdateClient.doUpdate(SVNUpdateClient.java:600)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNUpdateClient.doUpdate(SVNUpdateClient.java:412)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.cli.svn.SVNUpdateCommand.run(SVNUpdateCommand.java:112)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.cli.AbstractSVNCommandEnvironment.run(AbstractSVNCommandEnvironment.java:137)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.cli.AbstractSVNLauncher.run(AbstractSVNLauncher.java:81)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.cli.svn.SVN.main(SVN.java:29)
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINE: NETWORK: svn: timed out waiting for server
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINEST: WC: JNA available: true
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:04 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINEST: WC: JNA enabled: true
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:05 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINEST: WC: JNA.getFileType: 32768
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:05 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
FINEST: WC: JNA.getFileType: 32768
Sep 24, 2008 11:18:05 AM org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.DefaultSVNDebugLogger log
SEVERE: CLI: svn: timed out waiting for server
svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/kohlhase'
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: timed out waiting for server
svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/kohlhase'
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:103)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:87)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:550)
[...]
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:432)
        at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.SVNSocketConnection.run(SVNSocketConnection.java:57)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

Re: timed out waiting for server

Alexander Kitaev-3
Hello Normen,

 > We figured out the cause:  It is a dissfunctional proxy!  However 'svn'
 > somehow manages to perform, for example, an update even with this
 > proxy?! If we disable this proxy 'jsvn' works just fine over wlan.
What version of the native Subversion ('svn') do you use? It may happen
that older version sends different requests and proxy lets them pass
through. Also, proxy may check "User-Agent" HTTP header to allow native
client requests...

It will help if you'll use network sniffing program (e.g. wireshark) to
get network log for the native client ('svn') and ('jsvn') - we'll be
able to compare requests sent and it may reveal the reason of the problem.

Alexander Kitaev,

Alexander Kitaev wrote:

> Hello Normen,
>
>  > We figured out the cause:  It is a dissfunctional proxy!  However 'svn'
>  > somehow manages to perform, for example, an update even with this
>  > proxy?! If we disable this proxy 'jsvn' works just fine over wlan.
> What version of the native Subversion ('svn') do you use? It may happen
> that older version sends different requests and proxy lets them pass
> through. Also, proxy may check "User-Agent" HTTP header to allow native
> client requests...

He the first answer:

svn, version 1.5.2 (r32768)
  compiled Sep 20 2008, 05:59:23

> It will help if you'll use network sniffing program (e.g. wireshark) to
> get network log for the native client ('svn') and ('jsvn') - we'll be
> able to compare requests sent and it may reveal the reason of the problem.

We'll do that asap.

Cheers,
  /nm