problem with viewvc

Vincent Lefevre-11
Hi,

On http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1814248
when I click on the first "modified", I get either

Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /viewvc/subversion/branches/1.9.x/.

or

HTTP/1.1 NoneServer: gunicorn/19.7.1
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:23:12 GMT
Connection: close

Vincent Lefèvre <[hidden email]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>

Re: problem with viewvc

Daniel Shahaf-2
Infra - could you take a look?  I tried just now and reproduced the
first error message (a "502 Proxy Error").

@Vincent In the future feel free to report issues with *.a.o services
directly to infra (after checking status.apache.org)

Vincent Lefevre wrote on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 14:24 +0100:

> Hi,
>
> On http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1814248
> when I click on the first "modified", I get either
>
> Proxy Error
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request GET /viewvc/subversion/
> branches/1.9.x/.
>
> Reason: Error reading from remote server

> or
>
> HTTP/1.1 NoneServer: gunicorn/19.7.1
> Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:23:12 GMT
> Connection: close
>
> Regards,

Re: problem with viewvc

Greg Stein-4
Hi Vincent, Daniel,

The problem is that the "modified" link for branches/1.9.x/ produces a page with a log of ALL the modifications EVER made in that branch. You're talking about thousands of log entries from the past couple/three years. The page simply takes way too long to generate, so the proxy (gunicorn) times out.

Stick to the "modified" links for individual files or subdirectories, and ignore the one for the main branch :-)

Cheers,
Greg
(on behalf of Infra)

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Daniel Shahaf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Infra - could you take a look?  I tried just now and reproduced the
first error message (a "502 Proxy Error").

@Vincent In the future feel free to report issues with *.a.o services
directly to infra (after checking status.apache.org)

Vincent Lefevre wrote on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 14:24 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> On http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1814248
> when I click on the first "modified", I get either
>
> Proxy Error
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request GET /viewvc/subversion/
> branches/1.9.x/.
>
> Reason: Error reading from remote server

> or
>
> HTTP/1.1 NoneServer: gunicorn/19.7.1
> Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:23:12 GMT
> Connection: close
>
> Regards,

Re: problem with viewvc

Vincent Lefevre-11
On 2017-12-27 17:46:17 -0600, Greg Stein wrote:

> Hi Vincent, Daniel,
>
> The problem is that the "modified" link for branches/1.9.x/ produces a page
> with a log of ALL the modifications EVER made in that branch. You're
> talking about thousands of log entries from the past couple/three years.
> The page simply takes way too long to generate, so the proxy (gunicorn)
> times out.
>
> Stick to the "modified" links for individual files or subdirectories, and
> ignore the one for the main branch :-)

OK, but I think that a clearer error message, such as "Page too large",
would be better. Alternatively, make ViewVC suppress links yielding
such issues, if possible.

FYI, I hoped to see there a "Diff to previous" link to the patch
corresponding to the changeset r1814248, instead of having to look
at every diff for individual files. Otherwise I cannot find such a
link. This is rather annoying.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[hidden email]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>