help with repo upgrade?

Baker, Randy (US) (Contractor)

Hello : I was tasked with upgrading Subversion server and repos. I have built a new server. Old server was at 1.6.11; new server 1.9.4. Clients report no issues accessing new Subversion 1.9.4 from various versions of client. However, upgrading the repo, I get the following :

svn: E160043: Found format '5', only created by unreleased dev builds

I need help understanding how the upgrading works, and, more specifically, how I can successfully get past this issue and successfully upgrade the repos.

Randy Baker

Linux Systems Admin, BAE (SoftWorld, Inc.)

W  781.262.4291

Re: help with repo upgrade?

Stefan Sperling
On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 04:04:06PM +0000, Baker, Randy (US) (Contractor) wrote:

> Hello : I was tasked with upgrading Subversion server and repos. I have built a new server. Old server was at 1.6.11; new server 1.9.4. Clients report no issues accessing new Subversion 1.9.4 from various versions of client. However, upgrading the repo, I get the following :
>

> svn: E160043: Found format '5', only created by unreleased dev builds
>

> I need help understanding how the upgrading works, and, more specifically, how I can successfully get past this issue and successfully upgrade the repos.

See http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7#revprop-packing

RE: help with repo upgrade?

Baker, Randy (US) (Contractor)
Thank you for the speedy reply, and Yes, on purpose. I didn't think the list could benefit from the language in my last email. So, if I may more thoroughly explain : I'm a new hire here at this firm, tasked with upgrading the Subversion server from RHEL 5x to 7x. That was done successfully, but a user suggested I also upgrade the repos as well to benefit from the new server's features. The current server (from which I ran 'svnadmin upgrade') is 1.6.11. At the time, it was the only management server connected to NetApp (repos).  Now, when users attempt any svn work, they get the error I reported in the ticket. So, now that I've added the new Subversion server (running 1.9.4)  as a management server to NetApp, what should be my next move?

Should I want to just do 'svnadmin upgrade <repo>'  from the new server, or do I need to dump and load the repos first? I have  200 repos, all production, so I'm sure you understand the need for accuracy here. Apologies for being such a newbie with this, but I'm being as cautious and informed as necessary.   Thank you.

Re: help with repo upgrade?

Stefan Hett-2
On 8/3/2017 1:10 PM, Baker, Randy (US) (Contractor) wrote:

> Thank you for the speedy reply, and Yes, on purpose. I didn't think the list could benefit from the language in my last email. So, if I may more thoroughly explain : I'm a new hire here at this firm, tasked with upgrading the Subversion server from RHEL 5x to 7x. That was done successfully, but a user suggested I also upgrade the repos as well to benefit from the new server's features. The current server (from which I ran 'svnadmin upgrade') is 1.6.11. At the time, it was the only management server connected to NetApp (repos).  Now, when users attempt any svn work, they get the error I reported in the ticket. So, now that I've added the new Subversion server (running 1.9.4)  as a management server to NetApp, what should be my next move?
>
> Should I want to just do 'svnadmin upgrade <repo>'  from the new server, or do I need to dump and load the repos first? I have  200 repos, all production, so I'm sure you understand the need for accuracy here. Apologies for being such a newbie with this, but I'm being as cautious and informed as necessary.   Thank you.

As stsp stated you first need to get grip of a 1.7.0-alpha build which
you can run against your repository. Given that s/o created the
repository with such an alpha version I'd guess that somewhere in your
company some backup of such a version should lie around somewhere. I'm
not aware of any publicly available binaries of such a version,
unfortunately. Worst case, you'll have to build such version from the
old source code (or s/o on this list can help out with that).

You then need to do an svnadmin dump with that particular alpha version
and the repository in question. When you got the dump, you'll setup a
fresh repository, set the UUID of the new repository to the old one and
do an svnadmin load with the 1.9.4 version of the previously stored dump
file into the new repository.

Stefan Hett

Re: help with repo upgrade?

Stefan Sperling
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 11:10:07AM +0000, Baker, Randy (US) (Contractor)
wrote:
> Thank you for the speedy reply, and Yes, on purpose. I didn't think
> the list could benefit from the language in my last email. So, if I
> may more thoroughly explain : I'm a new hire here at this firm, tasked
> with upgrading the Subversion server from RHEL 5x to 7x. That was done
> successfully, but a user suggested I also upgrade the repos as well to
> benefit from the new server's features. The current server (from which
> I ran 'svnadmin upgrade') is 1.6.11. At the time, it was the only
> management server connected to NetApp (repos).  Now, when users
> attempt any svn work, they get the error I reported in the ticket.

There must be a missing link in this story somewhere.

A 1.6.11 'svnadmin upgrade' would *not* create a format 5 repository.
It would create format 4.

Are you 100% sure that you (or someone else) didn't run 'svnadmin upgrade'
with a 1.7 alpha release accidentally? That's the only possible
explanation for the error you are seeing. At least I cannot think of
any other reason (apart from manual meddling with repository data, but
that's obviously not a supported use case either).

How many repositories are affected by this? All of them? Just one?