getting 'Directory is missing' when tagging working copy

getting 'Directory is missing' when tagging working copy

Todd Wade-2
Hello,

I am attempting to use tagging as described at:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mkcomplex

I've used this quite a few times on this repository, But now I'm getting
a 'Directory is missing' error.

To repeat, my usage is as exactly described in the docs. But when I run
the copy:

svn cp working_copy svn+ssh://host/tags/staging/2009-09-02T14-00

I get this error:

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Directory '/home/me/working_copy/some/dir/in/wc' is missing

I'm using a somewhat old version:

svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521)

Upgrading would be kind of difficult, but I'll do it if thats what is
suggested.

Thanks!

Todd W.

RE: getting 'Directory is missing' when tagging working copy

Bob Archer
> I am attempting to use tagging as described at:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-
> book.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mkcomplex
>
> I've used this quite a few times on this repository, But now I'm
> getting
> a 'Directory is missing' error.
>
> To repeat, my usage is as exactly described in the docs. But when I run
> the copy:
>
> svn cp working_copy svn+ssh://host/tags/staging/2009-09-02T14-00
>
> I get this error:
>
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Directory '/home/me/working_copy/some/dir/in/wc' is missing

I expect that host/tags/staging does not yet exist in your repository. I think if you use the --parents switch on the cp command it would work for you.

BOb

Bob Archer wrote:

> Todd W wrote:
>> I am attempting to use tagging as described at:
>>
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-
>> book.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mkcomplex
>>
>> I've used this quite a few times on this repository, But now I'm
>> getting a 'Directory is missing' error.
>
> I expect that host/tags/staging does not yet exist in your
> repository. I think if you use the --parents switch on the cp command
>  it would work for you.

Unfortunately not. I made sure the directory that I am trying to 'svn
cp' the working copy to exists.

--parents is not available in the version I'm using... I fear an upgrade
is in order.

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521)

Bob Archer wrote:

> Todd W Wrote:
>> I am attempting to use tagging as described at:
>>
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mkcomplex
>>

>> My usage is as exactly described in the docs. But when I run the
>> copy:
>>
>> svn cp working_copy svn+ssh://host/tags/staging/2009-09-02T14-00
>>
>> I get this error:
>>
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow): svn: Directory
>> '/home/me/working_copy/some/dir/in/wc' is missing
>
> I expect that host/tags/staging does not yet exist in your
> repository. I think if you use the --parents switch on the cp command
> it would work for you.

The directory it is choking on has been added and deleted to the
repository and the revision of the parent directory is at a revision
prior to when the directory was added.

According to the docs for this revision this should work:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge

"In the course of your work, you may decide that you need to create a
working copy that is designed to have specific features and bug fixes.
You can accomplish this by selectively backdating files or directories
to particular revisions (using svn update -r liberally)"

Which is what I have done. So if this isn't working I would say it is a
bug, but I understand the most likely suggestion is to upgrade.

Thank you.

Todd W.