Swig py3 branch

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Swig py3 branch

Troy Curtis Jr
I am currently having some home internet problems, so replying to Daniel's irc query here via mobile. 

I think the swig py3 branch is very close. My latest commit does cause one py2 test to start failing (probably resulting from going to new style classes) , but I hope to get that nailed down tonight. After that there is just another bytes versus str under py3 and that should do it for the existing tests.  It seems like I should be able to get it wrapped up soon enough to get into 1.10 (like this weekend). 

Hmm, I haven't taken a look at it under Windows yet though. For me that'll likely be slow going as I'm not much of a Windows developer. 

On a related topic, does anyone know of projects using the python bindings? I planned on taking a look at Trac but they may have already switched to calling through cli. Testing against a third party app will probably be a good smoke test. 

In any case hopefully I'll get it ready in the next day or two.

Troy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Swig py3 branch

Daniel Shahaf-2
Troy Curtis Jr wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 02:58 +0000:
> I am currently having some home internet problems, so replying to Daniel's
> irc query here via mobile.

Thanks for this!

For context, I asked about the state of the swig-py3 branch in
relation to the backporting-non-bugfixes-to-1.10.0 deadline (which is
in the air already).

> I think the swig py3 branch is very close. My latest commit does cause one
> py2 test to start failing (probably resulting from going to new style
> classes) , but I hope to get that nailed down tonight. After that there is
> just another bytes versus str under py3 and that should do it for the
> existing tests.  It seems like I should be able to get it wrapped up soon
> enough to get into 1.10 (like this weekend).
>
> Hmm, I haven't taken a look at it under Windows yet though. For me that'll
> likely be slow going as I'm not much of a Windows developer.
>

What needs to be done on windows?  Just to run 'make check' under py2 +
py3, or does some code need to be written?

We don't generally expect developers to go out of their way to test
their changes on platforms other than their development platform, so
hopefully a Windows-based dev could step up to fill the gap.  If you
just need a 'make check' run, you can get buildbot to run a one-time
build.  (The invocation is through the IRC bot; I can press the button for
you if you like.)

> On a related topic, does anyone know of projects using the python bindings?
> I planned on taking a look at Trac but they may have already switched to
> calling through cli. Testing against a third party app will probably be a
> good smoke test.

We've got a bunch of "import svn" stuff in tools/; and you can check reverse
dependencies in your package manager (e.g., on Debian I see hgsubversion,
svnmailer, and viewvc as depending on python-subversion).

> In any case hopefully I'll get it ready in the next day or two.

Excellent, thanks again!

Daniel