Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Fei Peng

Hello,

Can you please tell me where I can get Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package? I need to setup a 1.6.11 server on centos7, then migrate our current svn 1.6.11 on centos5.6 to the 1.6.11 server on centos7. Then upgrade the svn 1.6.11 server on centos7 to the current version (1.9.7).

I am not sure if I can install svn 1.9.7 on centos7 and migrate my svn 1.6.1 directly to the 1.9.7 on centos7.

Any advice will be highly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Fei Peng

t: +1 519.620.7232

m: +1 519.497.9917

Trustwave | SMART SECURITY ON DEMAND

www.trustwave.com

Re: Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Eric Johnson-35
Hi Fei,

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Fei Peng <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Can you please tell me where I can get Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package? I need to setup a 1.6.11 server on centos7, then migrate our current svn 1.6.11 on centos5.6 to the 1.6.11 server on centos7. Then upgrade the svn 1.6.11 server on centos7 to the current version (1.9.7).

The recommended upgrade path would probably be different than what you describe. Do an svnadmin dump on your current server, and import on your new server, with whatever version of Subversion you're running there. If you cannot take any down time, do the dump & load, then set up svnsync to catch up and keep the two servers in sync. When you're ready to switch over, you stop new commits to the existing server, make sure the sync operations finish, then deactivate the syncing and turn your new server liver. Maybe a minute of total down time.

I am not sure if I can install svn 1.9.7 on centos7 and migrate my svn 1.6.1 directly to the 1.9.7 on centos7.

I believe so, if you follow the approach I outlined above. Caveat - I don't run CentOS.

Eric.

Any advice will be highly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Fei Peng

t: <a href="tel:(519)%20620-7232" value="+15196207232" target="_blank">+1 519.620.7232

m: <a href="tel:(519)%20497-9917" value="+15194979917" target="_blank">+1 519.497.9917

Trustwave | SMART SECURITY ON DEMAND

www.trustwave.com

RE: Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Fei Peng

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will setup svn 1.9.7 on centos7 then follow your instruction to migrate the existing svn 1.6.11 to the new server.

Many thanks again!

[...]

t: <a href="tel:(519)%20620-7232" target="_blank">+1 519.620.7232

m: <a href="tel:(519)%20497-9917" target="_blank">+1 519.497.9917

Trustwave | SMART SECURITY ON DEMAND

www.trustwave.com

Re: Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Fei Peng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thank you very much for your advice. I will setup svn 1.9.7 on centos7 then
> follow your instruction to migrate the existing svn 1.6.11 to the new
> server.

See also this FAQ entry for a bit of background info and caveats about
dump/load:
http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#dumpload

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Fei Peng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thank you very much for your advice. I will setup svn 1.9.7 on centos7
> then follow your instruction to migrate the existing svn 1.6.11 to the
> new server.

See also this FAQ entry for a bit of background info and caveats about
dump/load:
http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=4062&d=rt_F2W675ZbNXSsMwoq9l0gLnP3Da_qzy98kdKpC6Q&s=5&u=http%3a%2f%2fsubversion%2eapache%2eorg%2ffaq%2ehtml%23dumpload

Re: Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Nico Kadel-Garcia-2
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Fei Peng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you please tell me where I can get Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486)
> package? I need to setup a 1.6.11 server on centos7, then migrate our
> current svn 1.6.11 on centos5.6 to the 1.6.11 server on centos7. Then
> upgrade the svn 1.6.11 server on centos7 to the current version (1.9.7).

Please don't You'll *really* hurt yourself having to support that.
CentOS 7 has 1.7.x as its default Subversion. If you need Subversion
1.9, it's in the "SCLO" repository, such as the copy at
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/7.4.1708/sclo/x86_64/sclo/sclo-subversion19/

That published version is 1.9.3, but it actually has some upstream
support at RedHat. I've done personal builds, and used to publish to
RPMforge, and it's not worth the work.

> I am not sure if I can install svn 1.9.7 on centos7 and migrate my svn 1.6.1
> directly to the 1.9.7 on centos7.

Yes, you can. Definitely look into setting up an "svnmirror", to
establish a new Subversion on your CentOS 7.x box slaved to the old
one, and look at "svnadmin hotcopy" on the old server to get a copy of
hte configs with your local tuning. We've discussed this before for
people planning upgrades, and even discussed it in the lst week.

When you're happy with the new mirror, *write lock* the old one, and
help your users set their repositories to point to the new server.
It's usually easier and safer if they actually check out new working
copies, but not everyone is willing to do that.

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That published version is 1.9.3, but it actually has some upstream
> support at RedHat. I've done personal builds, and used to publish to
> RPMforge, and it's not worth the work.

Sorry, I realized I was unclear. Unless you really enjoy unfurling the
building of bleeding edge software, or someone is paying you for it,
it's much safer and faster to get a tested build from your favorite
upstream distributor, even if it's not the latest version. The switch
from 1.9.3 to 1.9.7 would not, in my opinion. justify the work of
taking this project on to build it locally if you have a day job. Been
there, done that, have published hundreds of update RPM's, and unless
you like to develop RPM's or handbuild software to feel empowered,
it's not worth the work.

Re: Subversion version 1.6.11 (r934486) package

Branko Čibej
On 25.09.2017 02:50, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That published version is 1.9.3, but it actually has some upstream
>> support at RedHat. I've done personal builds, and used to publish to
>> RPMforge, and it's not worth the work.
> Sorry, I realized I was unclear. Unless you really enjoy unfurling the
> building of bleeding edge software, or someone is paying you for it,
> it's much safer and faster to get a tested build from your favorite
> upstream distributor, even if it's not the latest version. The switch
> from 1.9.3 to 1.9.7 would not, in my opinion. justify the work of
> taking this project on to build it locally if you have a day job. Been
> there, done that, have published hundreds of update RPM's, and unless
> you like to develop RPM's or handbuild software to feel empowered,
> it's not worth the work.

So of course it's always worth taking a look at

http://opensource.wandisco.com/centos/7/svn-1.9/

which does have 1.9.7.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:32 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25.09.2017 02:50, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That published version is 1.9.3, but it actually has some upstream
>>> support at RedHat. I've done personal builds, and used to publish to
>>> RPMforge, and it's not worth the work.
>> Sorry, I realized I was unclear. Unless you really enjoy unfurling the
>> building of bleeding edge software, or someone is paying you for it,
>> it's much safer and faster to get a tested build from your favorite
>> upstream distributor, even if it's not the latest version. The switch
>> from 1.9.3 to 1.9.7 would not, in my opinion. justify the work of
>> taking this project on to build it locally if you have a day job. Been
>> there, done that, have published hundreds of update RPM's, and unless
>> you like to develop RPM's or handbuild software to feel empowered,
>> it's not worth the work.
>
> So of course it's always worth taking a look at
>
> http://opensource.wandisco.com/centos/7/svn-1.9/
>
> which does have 1.9.7.

*True*. And I see that wandisco has chosen to make it a yum enabled
repository, which is cool and makes updates easier. Unfortunately, it
also includes upgrades and system replacements for "serf" and
"mod_dav", which are requirements for the Subversion update but will
replace Red Hat published versions of those components. That can make
dependency handling tricky if you run other web services on the
Subversion server.

CentOS 7 has 1.7.x as its default Subversion. If you need Subversion 1.9, it's in the "SCLO" repository, such as the copy at http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=4062&d=19HI2cIm_KBXzn41RIkxVLPDAOCLqYhHRUGRETh4YA&s=5&u=http%3a%2f%2fmirrors%2ekernel%2eorg%2fcentos%2f7%2e4%2e1708%2fsclo%2fx86%5f64%2fsclo%2fsclo-subversion19%2f