Subversion Version Control

Gillead, Gennar

Subversion,

Does tool have functionality to change key words in code as its migration through SDLC from DEV to QA to UA/SIT to PROD? Below is  replacement that will have to occur during migration.

  1. “_DEV” to “QA Naming Standard”  for QA migration? In this instance all references of “_DEV” will have to be replaced.
    • Example: USER_DATA_DEV to USER_DATA
  2. “QA Naming Standard” to “_UAT/SIT”  for UAT and/or SIT migration?
    • USER_DATA to  USER_DATA_UAT and/or USER_DATA_SIT  based on flag or other indicator selected with in application?
  3. Removal of “_UAT/SIT”  for  PROD migration?
    • USER_DATA_UAT or USER_DATA_SIT to  USER_DATA DATA based on flag or other indicator selected with in application?

Thanks,

Gennar Gillead

Re: Subversion Version Control

Eric Johnson-35

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:56 PM Gillead, Gennar <[hidden email]> wrote:

Subversion,

Does tool have functionality to change key words in code as its migration through SDLC from DEV to QA to UA/SIT to PROD? Below is  replacement that will have to occur during migration.

  1. “_DEV” to “QA Naming Standard”  for QA migration? In this instance all references of “_DEV” will have to be replaced.
    • Example: USER_DATA_DEV to USER_DATA
  2. “QA Naming Standard” to “_UAT/SIT”  for UAT and/or SIT migration?
    • USER_DATA to  USER_DATA_UAT and/or USER_DATA_SIT  based on flag or other indicator selected with in application?
  3. Removal of “_UAT/SIT”  for  PROD migration?
    • USER_DATA_UAT or USER_DATA_SIT to  USER_DATA DATA based on flag or other indicator selected with in application?
It is difficult to tell from your question whether or not Subversion fits the bill. Based on your question, it doesn't sound like you've actually used Subversion. Since it is free to download and install, and can even be used without a server for limited use-cases, perhaps experiment with it, and ask a more specific concrete question?

None of the significant version control systems available (Git, Mercurial, SVN) do much in the way of *changing* code. Mostly, they *store* code. Logic about changing code is outside the purview of what the systems do (with a small exception for tracking specific property values as part of the contents of files, a mostly discouraged practice).

Eric.

Re: Subversion Version Control

Gillead, Gennar
Eric,

Thanks for response. I haven't used SVN but my client currently uses it and looking for a certain functionality before considering replacing it.  To be more specific can you define your own keyword replacement variables? Based on documentation I have found it doesn't allow that functionality.

Thanks,

Gennar

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Re: Subversion Version Control

Eric Johnson-35
Hi Gennar,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM Gillead, Gennar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eric,

Thanks for response. I haven't used SVN but my client currently uses it and looking for a certain functionality before considering replacing it.  To be more specific can you define your own keyword replacement variables? Based on documentation I have found it doesn't allow that functionality.

Just this seems to be relevant to your question.

Eric.

Thanks,

Gennar

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Re: Subversion Version Control

Stefan Sperling
On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:07:11PM +0000, Gillead, Gennar wrote:
> I haven't used SVN but my client currently uses it and
> looking for a certain functionality before considering replacing it.  To be
> more specific can you define your own keyword replacement variables?

Hi Gennar,

It is not entirely clear to me if you mean "keyword variables" as
in Subversion's keyword substitution feature, or something else?

Defining custom keywords in SVN is possible to a certain degree. See here:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html#custom-keywords
Perhaps that already does what you need?

> Based on documentation I have found it doesn't allow that functionality.

Which documentation have you consulted so far?

Features of newer SVN releases tend to be documented in the release notes,
rather than the SVN Book: http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/
This is mostly due to a lack of volunteers working on the SVN Book.

Regards,
Stefan