Subversion Exception!

为呐☆而狂
Hello:

I installed Tortoise SVN in the C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN directory, but it was not loaded into the D disk at all. How can I report this error?

Subversion产生的报告如下
(您可以用Ctrl-C快捷键复制
本对话框的内容到剪切板):

文件
 “D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.9.7\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\wc_db.c”,行
 9210:断言失败(svn_dirent_is_absolute(local_abspath))
---------------------------
确定
---------------------------

Re: Subversion Exception!

wuzhouhui-2
Let me translate it for English people.

Subversion encountered a serious problem.
>  麻烦您花点时间将这个问题报告给Subversion
Please report this issue to Subversion
>  请尽量详细的描述您之前尝试的操作。
Please describe the steps that you did.
>  不过希望您先在邮件存档中搜索一下同样的问题,避免重复提交。
Before report this issue, please search archive for avoid reporting same issue.
>  您可以登录下面的地址搜索邮件存档:
You can search archive in following location:

>  Subversion产生的报告如下
>  (您可以用Ctrl-C快捷键复制
>  本对话框的内容到剪切板):
Following is outputs that Subversion generated:

>  文件
>  “D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.9.7\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\wc_db.c”,行
>  9210:断言失败(svn_dirent_is_absolute(local_abspath))
“D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.9.7\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\wc_db.c”,Line
9210:Assertion failed(svn_dirent_is_absolute(local_abspath))
Confirm
>  ---------------------------

Re: Subversion Exception!

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 1:04 PM wuzhouhui <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me translate it for English people.

First thing to do is to upgrade to the latest release of (Tortoise)SVN
and try again. Currently the latest version is 1.11.0.

Re: Subversion Exception!

>> Subversion encountered a serious problem.
>> Please take the time to report this on the Subversion mailing list
[…]
>> https://subversion.apache.org/mailing-lists.html

>It is likely that this is a problem specific to TortoiseSVN, and not
>to core SVN. TortoiseSVN has its own mailinglists, so you should
>report your problem there:
(Cross-posting.)

It makes me sad every time I see this pattern. Software is often frustrating to use, but should at least aim to be polite to its users. Telling the user "Please do X" and then when the user does X saying "No, it's no good doing X; do Y" is not polite, and I would not expect anyone but the most calm, patient and helpful of users to gracefully comply with such a request.

I'm not meaning to criticise Johan but rather our whole system.

Can we please fix this problem. Both:
1) Tsvn please change the message.
2) We should pass on the report to the appropriate place and thank the user for having helped us. We, the svn commumity, should not ask the user to do that: it's our problem; the user is the annoyed victim.

That would make me happier.

Re: Subversion Exception!

Branko Čibej
On 12.12.2018 19:07, Stefan Kueng wrote:

>> […]
>>
>>> It is likely that this is a problem specific to TortoiseSVN, and not
>>> to core SVN. TortoiseSVN has its own mailinglists, so you should
>>> report your problem there:
>> (Cross-posting.)
>
> Since this happens in the project monitor, my best guess is that the
> path/url the user entered to be monitored is not correct.
>

>> It makes me sad every time I see this pattern. Software is often
>> frustrating to use, but should at least aim to be polite to its
>> users. Telling the user "Please do X" and then when the user does X
>> saying "No, it's no good doing X; do Y" is not polite, and I would
>> not expect anyone but the most calm, patient and helpful of users to
>> gracefully comply with such a request.
>>
>> I'm not meaning to criticise Johan but rather our whole system.
>>
>> Can we please fix this problem. Both:
>> 1) Tsvn please change the message.
>
> Sorry, won't do that. Because I've argued multiple times over the
> years here that calling exit() or even abort() in a library is the
> worst idea ever. Especially if this can happen by having the user
> enter a wrong path/url.

It's not the user entering the wrong path or URL. It's the code that
uses the Subversion libraries — in this case TSVN — not validating and
de-tainting its input. Yes, this has been going on for years due to your
obstinately refusing to conform to our API specs. In the meantime,
*your* users are left hanging.

The rules are clear and consistent: pointers may not be NULL unless
specifically allowed, paths must be absolute and canonical, URLs must be
canonical, all strings must be encoded in UTF-8. We provide a wide range
of helper functions that make it easy for API consumers to encode the
parameters.

> Sorry if this message seems rude - but I'm tired of arguing the same
> over and over again.

You don't say.

Subversion Exception!

Hertzschuch Stefan

with as much information as possible about what

you were trying to do.

But please first search the mailing list archives for the error message

to avoid reporting the same problem repeatedly.

You can find the mailing list archives at

Subversion reported the following

(you can copy the content of this dialog

to the clipboard using Ctrl-C):

In file

'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.11.0\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\wc_db.c'

line 10238: assertion failed (svn_dirent_is_absolute(local_abspath))

OK

Viele Grüße

Stefan Hertzschuch