Starting and unlocking keyring from command line on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Starting and unlocking keyring from command line on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Alfred von Campe
We are switching from CentOS 6 to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on our build servers, and I’m not having much luck starting and unlocking the gnome-keyring-daemon from the command line on the new servers.  On the exiting CentOS 6 servers, I was able to unlock the keychain from a script using the command “echo password | pam-keyring-tool --unlock --use-stdin”, but I can’t get that binary to compile on Ubuntu.  I’ve googled some other solutions, but haven’t had much luck getting any to work.  Before I go dig any deeper, I assume that someone else must have solved this problem already?  This is a build server, so there is no GUI and everything needs to happen on the command line so Subversion operations can be done downstream without supplying a password.

Alfred