Shelving in TortoiseSVN

Julian Foad-7
TortoiseSVN now has 'Shelve' and 'Unshelve' commands implemented, if you
build it from source using the 'shelve' branch. It uses the shelving
prototype API in Subversion's 'shelve' branch.

The purpose at this stage is to get early feedback on the Shelving
feature from a wider range of users by presenting the shelving prototype
in a GUI.

If you can try it, please do, and please reply with any thoughts it
brings to mind.

The UI is very basic in the initial revision (r27987). 'Shelve' shows a
selection list of modified files, like commit and revert do, and asks
you to type a name. 'Unshelve' just asks you to type a name. Hopefully
we'll get some improvements in, even before we try presenting this
prototype to a wider range of users outside the dev-lists. For a start,
'Unshelve' should show a list of previously shelved patches and allow
selecting one from the list, with the most recent one chosen by default.

Re: Shelving in TortoiseSVN

Julian Foad-7
Julian Foad wrote:

> TortoiseSVN now has 'Shelve' and 'Unshelve' commands implemented, if you
> build it from source using the 'shelve' branch. It uses the shelving
> prototype API in Subversion's 'shelve' branch.
>
> The purpose at this stage is to get early feedback on the Shelving
> feature from a wider range of users by presenting the shelving prototype
> in a GUI.
>
> If you can try it, please do, and please reply with any thoughts it
> brings to mind.
>
> The UI is very basic in the initial revision (r27987). 'Shelve' shows a
> selection list of modified files, like commit and revert do, and asks
> you to type a name. 'Unshelve' just asks you to type a name. Hopefully
> we'll get some improvements in, even before we try presenting this
> prototype to a wider range of users outside the dev-lists. For a start,
> 'Unshelve' should show a list of previously shelved patches and allow
> selecting one from the list, with the most recent one chosen by default.

That last bit -- select from a list of shelved patches -- is done in r27988.

Re: Shelving in TortoiseSVN

Thomas Singer (SyntEvo)
Just curious: does shelving only works for text files or also for binary
files?

BTW: what I really miss in SVN is not shelving, but rather the ability
to select individually which line/hunk to commit.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

On 02.10.2017 15:19, Julian Foad wrote:

> TortoiseSVN now has 'Shelve' and 'Unshelve' commands implemented, if you
> build it from source using the 'shelve' branch. It uses the shelving
> prototype API in Subversion's 'shelve' branch.
>
> The purpose at this stage is to get early feedback on the Shelving
> feature from a wider range of users by presenting the shelving prototype
> in a GUI.
>
> If you can try it, please do, and please reply with any thoughts it
> brings to mind.
>
> The UI is very basic in the initial revision (r27987). 'Shelve' shows a
> selection list of modified files, like commit and revert do, and asks
> you to type a name. 'Unshelve' just asks you to type a name. Hopefully
> we'll get some improvements in, even before we try presenting this
> prototype to a wider range of users outside the dev-lists. For a start,
> 'Unshelve' should show a list of previously shelved patches and allow
> selecting one from the list, with the most recent one chosen by default.
>
> - Julian

Re: Shelving in TortoiseSVN

Julian Foad-5
Thomas Singer wrote:
> Just curious: does shelving only works for text files or also for binary
> files?

The current early implementation does not yet work for binary files, but
that is one of the next few features on the roadmap for support.

> BTW: what I really miss in SVN is not shelving, but rather the ability
> to select individually which line/hunk to commit.

Thank you for the feedback! I have no current plans to implement that,
but it is good to know what your favourite missing features are.

- Julian

> On 02.10.2017 15:19, Julian Foad wrote:
>> TortoiseSVN now has 'Shelve' and 'Unshelve' commands implemented, if
>> you build it from source using the 'shelve' branch. It uses the
>> shelving prototype API in Subversion's 'shelve' branch.
>>
>> The purpose at this stage is to get early feedback on the Shelving
>> feature from a wider range of users by presenting the shelving
>> prototype in a GUI.
>>
>> If you can try it, please do, and please reply with any thoughts it
>> brings to mind.
>>
>> The UI is very basic in the initial revision (r27987). 'Shelve' shows
>> a selection list of modified files, like commit and revert do, and
>> asks you to type a name. 'Unshelve' just asks you to type a name.
>> Hopefully we'll get some improvements in, even before we try
>> presenting this prototype to a wider range of users outside the
>> dev-lists. For a start, 'Unshelve' should show a list of previously
>> shelved patches and allow selecting one from the list, with the most
>> recent one chosen by default.
>>
>> - Julian

Re: Shelving in TortoiseSVN

Stefan Hett-2
Hi Thomas,

On 10/5/2017 4:42 PM, Thomas Singer wrote:
> Just curious: does shelving only works for text files or also for
> binary files?
>
> BTW: what I really miss in SVN is not shelving, but rather the ability
> to select individually which line/hunk to commit.
In case you are using TortoiseSVN:
Are you aware of TSVN's "Restore after commit" feature? See "Commit only
parts of files" here:
https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/nightly/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-commit.html

The idea is that in the commit dialog you right-click the file you don't
want to commit completely and select "Restore after commit". You then
double click that file to open up the diff-viewer and revert all the
changes you want to hold back.

I understand that you are asking for a slightly different functionality
here, but maybe helps already to some degree.

> --
> Best regards,
> Thomas Singer
> =============
> syntevo GmbH
> http://www.syntevo.com
> http://www.syntevo.com/blog
>

> On 02.10.2017 15:19, Julian Foad wrote:
>> TortoiseSVN now has 'Shelve' and 'Unshelve' commands implemented, if
>> you build it from source using the 'shelve' branch. It uses the
>> shelving prototype API in Subversion's 'shelve' branch.
>>
>> The purpose at this stage is to get early feedback on the Shelving
>> feature from a wider range of users by presenting the shelving
>> prototype in a GUI.
>>
>> If you can try it, please do, and please reply with any thoughts it
>> brings to mind.
>>
>> The UI is very basic in the initial revision (r27987). 'Shelve' shows
>> a selection list of modified files, like commit and revert do, and
>> asks you to type a name. 'Unshelve' just asks you to type a name.
>> Hopefully we'll get some improvements in, even before we try
>> presenting this prototype to a wider range of users outside the
>> dev-lists. For a start, 'Unshelve' should show a list of previously
>> shelved patches and allow selecting one from the list, with the most
>> recent one chosen by default.
>>
>> - Julian

Stefan Hett