Serialized hash missing terminator; svnadmin verify passes

Serialized hash missing terminator; svnadmin verify passes

Bruce Cowan
Just recently had a user unable to check out a folder. Going through the logs found:

Serialized hash missing terminator
Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response
A failure occurred while driving the update report editor
Failed to parse revprops for r212893

Ran svnadmin verify on repo. No failures. What should I investigate?

Bruce

Re: Serialized hash missing terminator; svnadmin verify passes

Daniel Shahaf-2

Are you using the DAV proxy/mirroring feature?

Re: Serialized hash missing terminator; svnadmin verify passes

Daniel Shahaf-2
[Re-adding the list to Cc.  Please keep the list Cc'd by default.]

Bruce Cowan wrote on Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:38 -0500:
> Thanks for the reply. I was unsure how to update with a solution that
> worked for me.

In such cases, a self-reply is fine and appreciated.  For bonus points,
put "[SOLVED]" in the subject line.

> We were using dynamic memory allocation. We set the cache to 1gb and the
> error went away.
>
> Currently : svnInMemoryCacheSize 1048576
>
> WIth this and a restart of the apache service we are good.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Did you try restarting the server _without_ bumping
the cache size?  If so, was the error reproducible at that point?

> What does the DAV proxy have to do with this? We are using it on this
> server. Our test server didn't have people testing the checkout(just the
> application testing we goofed) so we missed this.
>
> Thanks again for the reply. I would appreciate any additional information
> you can provide on why the DAV proxy could be the cause.

Setups that use the DAV proxy have two copies of the repository, so
it's possible that the copy the user checked out from and the copy you
verified aren't the same one.  Just wanted to rule that out.

Thanks for sharing the workaround.