Reintegration problem

David Aldrich-3
Hi

I have a branch to which I have carefully merged all changes from the trunk over the past year.  Today I want to reintegrate the branch into the trunk. When I attempt to do so I get error:

Reintegrate can only be used if revisions 8908 through 10479 were previously merged from <snip>/trunk
to the reintegrate source, but this is not the case:
branches/TRY_NECA_01Feb2018/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml
Missing ranges: /trunk/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml:9491

The merge info for the branch is:

/branches/TML_TRY_MassiveMIMO_25April2016:7280-8557
<snip>
/trunk:8908-10478

How should I fix this?

Why does the merge info contain information about branches when I have always merged from the trunk?

Best regards

David

Re: Reintegration problem

Stefan Sperling
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:31:12PM +0000, David Aldrich wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a branch to which I have carefully merged all changes from the trunk
> over the past year.  Today I want to reintegrate the branch into the trunk.
> When I attempt to do so I get error:
>
> Reintegrate can only be used if revisions 8908 through 10479 were
> previously merged from <snip>/trunk
> to the reintegrate source, but this is not the case:
> branches/TRY_NECA_01Feb2018/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml
> Missing ranges:
> /trunk/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml:9491
>
> The merge info for the branch is:
>
> /branches/TML_TRY_MassiveMIMO_25April2016:7280-8557
> <snip>
> /trunk:8908-10478

Mergeinfo on /branches/TML_TRY_MassiveMIMO_25April201 could be overridden
by svn:mergeinfo properties on deeper paths. The above mergeinfo only
applies to sub-paths which do not have their own svn:mergeinfo property.

> How should I fix this?

Try running a direct merge to the problematic path on your branch.
Something like this should do it:

svn merge -c9491   ^/trunk/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml   Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml

This might only modify svn:mergeinfo which is fine. Commit that change
and then try your reintegration merge again.

> Why does the merge info contain information about branches when I have
> always merged from the trunk?

Most likely because other branches got reintegrated into trunk while you
were working on your own branch. If your branch didn't receive such mergeinfo,
and you merged changes from those other branches to your branch, 'svn merge'
would try to redundantly apply changes which arrived on your branch via trunk.

By the way, you didn't mention which version of Subversion you are using.
Please make sure to run SVN 1.10 or 1.11 clients if you are not already
doing so. Many mergeinfo problems present in earlier releases have been
fixed over time, and you could be running into one of them. In some cases,
such issues are rooted in history committed with older clients. The sooner
every user of the repository upgrades, the better.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Reintegration problem

David Aldrich-3
Hi Stefan

Thanks for your reply. I am using svn 1.11.

I tried the command you suggested but, although it succeeded, there was nothing to commit afterwards.

best regards

David

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:58 PM Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:31:12PM +0000, David Aldrich wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a branch to which I have carefully merged all changes from the trunk
> over the past year.  Today I want to reintegrate the branch into the trunk.
> When I attempt to do so I get error:
>
> Reintegrate can only be used if revisions 8908 through 10479 were
> previously merged from <snip>/trunk
> to the reintegrate source, but this is not the case:
> branches/TRY_NECA_01Feb2018/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml
> Missing ranges:
> /trunk/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml:9491
>
> The merge info for the branch is:
>
> /branches/TML_TRY_MassiveMIMO_25April2016:7280-8557
> <snip>
> /trunk:8908-10478

Mergeinfo on /branches/TML_TRY_MassiveMIMO_25April201 could be overridden
by svn:mergeinfo properties on deeper paths. The above mergeinfo only
applies to sub-paths which do not have their own svn:mergeinfo property.

> How should I fix this?

Try running a direct merge to the problematic path on your branch.
Something like this should do it:

svn merge -c9491   ^/trunk/Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml   Simulations/Leda5G/RegressionTests/LEDA_DLBF_32Tx_8User_EPA5_MCS17_Rank2_RosellaBF.xml

This might only modify svn:mergeinfo which is fine. Commit that change
and then try your reintegration merge again.

> Why does the merge info contain information about branches when I have
> always merged from the trunk?

Most likely because other branches got reintegrated into trunk while you
were working on your own branch. If your branch didn't receive such mergeinfo,
and you merged changes from those other branches to your branch, 'svn merge'
would try to redundantly apply changes which arrived on your branch via trunk.

By the way, you didn't mention which version of Subversion you are using.
Please make sure to run SVN 1.10 or 1.11 clients if you are not already
doing so. Many mergeinfo problems present in earlier releases have been
fixed over time, and you could be running into one of them. In some cases,
such issues are rooted in history committed with older clients. The sooner
every user of the repository upgrades, the better.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Reintegration problem

Stefan Sperling
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 01:09:19PM +0000, David Aldrich wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> Thanks for your reply. I am using svn 1.11.
>
> I tried the command you suggested but, although it succeeded, there was
> nothing to commit afterwards.

Does the file not have an svn:mergeinfo property?

Otherwise, what does svn:mergeinfo on this file contain?
Does it already mention the missing path/revision?

Re: Reintegration problem

David Aldrich-3
Hi Stefan

Thanks again for your help. We decided to manually reintegrate the branch using a file compare tool as the differences were small. We've created a new branch, so hopefully we will not see this problem again.

Best regards

David