Refreshing / redesigning our website

Johan Corveleyn-3
During the hackathon in Aachen we discussed our website, and whether
we should / could update its look and feel a bit. This is separate
from our wiki, which we already intend to move to the ASF confluence
wiki (still working on that, whenever I have some spare minutes).

I asked on [hidden email] for guidelines or tips [1]. Didn't get
much out of it unfortunately, except a couple of references to
required links ([2], [3]) and branding policy [4]. Looking at other
ASF projects, there is clearly a lot of diversity, but some definitely
look more modern, and some look oldish :-).

I'm a total noob on website design, so I'm not going to go further
with this myself. But if anyone would like to work on this and try
some things, that'd be great. I suppose a lot can be accomplished by
tweaking the css and related UI stuff.

I think we should be able to try out various things on
subversion-staging, and discuss what people think about it etc ... Or
perhaps it would be better to set up another branch of our website,
specifically for working on the design (subversion-design.apache.org
or whatever).

Some things to keep in mind:
- Don't break existing links.
- Watch out for requirements ([2], [3], [4]).

Related random idea: I think it'd be nice to integrate a "task"
widget, like they have on httpd.apache.org for example [5], powered by
helpwanted.apache.org.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/80793924f3cc1f0e9b2923858cb4cc9175e4d6cca30e9320b929fbc2@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

[2] "Where's the code", mail thread about having clear links to the
source code: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f33c88b52afbf65aabb028772dcd08ebb78a237d99221566754fa82a@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

[3] TLP website check: https://whimsy.apache.org/site/check

[4] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

[5] http://httpd.apache.org/#want-to-contribute-to-the-apache-http-server

Re: Refreshing / redesigning our website

Branko Čibej
On 13.12.2017 14:26, Johan Corveleyn wrote:

> During the hackathon in Aachen we discussed our website, and whether
> we should / could update its look and feel a bit. This is separate
> from our wiki, which we already intend to move to the ASF confluence
> wiki (still working on that, whenever I have some spare minutes).
>
> I asked on [hidden email] for guidelines or tips [1]. Didn't get
> much out of it unfortunately, except a couple of references to
> required links ([2], [3]) and branding policy [4]. Looking at other
> ASF projects, there is clearly a lot of diversity, but some definitely
> look more modern, and some look oldish :-).
>
> I'm a total noob on website design, so I'm not going to go further
> with this myself. But if anyone would like to work on this and try
> some things, that'd be great. I suppose a lot can be accomplished by
> tweaking the css and related UI stuff.
>
> I think we should be able to try out various things on
> subversion-staging, and discuss what people think about it etc ... Or
> perhaps it would be better to set up another branch of our website,
> specifically for working on the design (subversion-design.apache.org
> or whatever).
>
> Some things to keep in mind:
> - Don't break existing links.
> - Watch out for requirements ([2], [3], [4]).

- Stop using server-side includes. As it is, Infra has to be reminded to
turn on SSI whenever they migrate our site to a new server.

Re: Refreshing / redesigning our website

Daniel Shahaf-2
Branko Čibej wrote on Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 16:24:34 +0100:
> - Stop using server-side includes. As it is, Infra has to be reminded to
> turn on SSI whenever they migrate our site to a new server.

I don't deny the need to be practical, but the fact that infra made this
mistake in past migrations does not imply they will keep making it indefinitely
in all future migrations.

On 14.12.2017 19:03, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Branko Čibej wrote on Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 16:24:34 +0100:
>> - Stop using server-side includes. As it is, Infra has to be reminded to
>> turn on SSI whenever they migrate our site to a new server.
> I don't deny the need to be practical, but the fact that infra made this
> mistake in past migrations does not imply they will keep making it indefinitely
> in all future migrations.

That's moderately true. I also don't think it's relevant. I prefer
generated static pages; if for no other reason than they're a lot easier
to test locally (one doesn't need a web server to see what the site
looks like).

-- Brane