Problem with merge --reintegrate

Anton Shepelev
Hello, all

I  am  having  trouble  reintegrating  my  fresh and
short-lived test branch (called progbar).   Although
there  have  been  no changes to the trunk since the
creation of the branch from revision 2524,

   svn merge "^/branches/progbar" --reintegrate

gives:

   svn: E195012: Unable to find repository location for
   '<hidden'>svn/Sources/trunk' in revision 1823

trunk indeed was not created  until  revision  2252,
but  I  wonder why can SVN be interested in revision
1823, if I created my test branch by  copying  revi-
sion 2524 of the trunk:

r2325 | GIT\Anton | 2017-12-23 16:54:44 +0300 | 1 line

Work done, merging with trunk to prepare for release.
r2324 | GIT\Anton | 2017-12-23 16:43:25 +0300 | 1 line

Branch for progressbar modifications.

What I did was:

  1.  'svn cp' of trunk into the new branch,
  2.  modify branch and commit the changes,
  3.  merge changes from the trunk into branch
      (there were none)
  4.  go  to trunk and merge changes form the branch
      with --reintegrate.

I did all this over the course of an hour, on a hol-
iday, when nobody else was working.

Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Anton Shepelev
I wrote:

> I  am  having  trouble  reintegrating my fresh and
> short-lived test  branch  (called  progbar).   Al-
> though  there  have  been  no changes to the trunk
> since the creation of  the  branch  from  revision
> 2324,
>
>    svn merge "^/branches/progbar" --reintegrate
>
> gives:
>
>    svn: E195012: Unable to find repository location for
>    '<hidden'>svn/Sources/trunk' in revision 1823
>
> trunk  indeed was not created until revision 2252,
> but I wonder why can SVN be interested in revision
> 1823, if I created my test branch by copying revi-
> sion 2524 of the trunk:
> [...]

Revision 1823 contains a change that is  in  no  way
connected  with  the changes I made in my branch.  I
did not even download that directory to  either  the
trunk or branch parts of my working copy.

I wrote:

> I  am  having  trouble  reintegrating my fresh and
> short-lived test  branch  (called  progbar).   Al-
> though  there  have  been  no changes to the trunk
> since the creation of  the  branch  from  revision
> 2324,
>
>    svn merge "^/branches/progbar" --reintegrate
>
> gives:
>
>    svn: E195012: Unable to find repository location for
>    '<hidden'>svn/Sources/trunk' in revision 1823
>
> trunk  indeed was not created until revision 2252,
> but I wonder why can SVN be interested in revision
> 1823, if I created my test branch by copying revi-
> sion 2524 of the trunk:
> [...]

'svn diff' between branch and trunk shows  only  the
two  files  that  I modified in the branch, of which
neither was touched in revision 1823.

Sorry for three messages instead of one.

I wrote:

> I  am  having  trouble  reintegrating my fresh and
> short-lived test  branch  (called  progbar).   Al-
> though  there  have  been  no changes to the trunk
> since the creation of  the  branch  from  revision
> 2324,
>
>    svn merge "^/branches/progbar" --reintegrate
>
> gives:
>
>    svn: E195012: Unable to find repository location for
>    '<hidden'>svn/Sources/trunk' in revision 1823
>
> trunk  indeed was not created until revision 2252,
> but I wonder why can SVN be interested in revision
> 1823, if I created my test branch by copying revi-
> sion 2524 of the trunk:
> [...]

This problem is somehow conntected with  sparse  di-
rectories.  If I update the working copy of trunk so
that it has the file affected in 1823, reintegration
completes successfully, but that file is not modifed
and is not shown by  'svn  diff'  after  'svn  merge
--reintegrate'.

Now  can  bypass  the  problem, but I should like to
know why it occurs in the first place, so I have re-
verted the merge and can reproduce it again.  I will
appreciate your help in tracking-down its cause.

Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Stefan Sperling-9

Which version of svn are you using to run this merge?

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Anton Shepelev
Stefan Sperling:

> Which  version  of  svn  are you using to run this
> merge?

1.8.17 (r1770682) as part of  CollabNet SVN.   I  am
not  at  all certain we need its extra features, but
someone else has decided to use that.

Shall I forward my replies to your e-mail, as you do
yours?

Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Mark Phippard-3

> On Dec 23, 2017, at 2:08 PM, Anton Shepelev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Stefan Sperling:
>
>> Which  version  of  svn  are you using to run this
>> merge?
>
> 1.8.17 (r1770682) as part of  CollabNet SVN.   I  am
> not  at  all certain we need its extra features, but
> someone else has decided to use that.

FWIW, that is just normal Subversion.  It is just the binaries CollabNet built, packed and tested.  There are no customizations applied to it.  I think that is generally true of everyone that builds and packages Subversion binaries.

Mark

Anton Shepelev wrote on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 22:08 +0300:
> Shall I forward my replies to your e-mail, as you do
> yours?

This is a "CC the poster by default" list --- we don't require people to
subscribe --- but Stefan set the Mail-Followup- To header in a way that
indicates he prefers not to be CC'd on list replies.

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Op 23 dec. 2017 20:08 schreef "Anton Shepelev" <[hidden email]>:
Stefan Sperling:

> Which  version  of  svn  are you using to run this
> merge?

1.8.17 (r1770682) as part of  CollabNet SVN.

This issue seems similar:

I found this in the list of CHANGES [1] for 1.9.0 (I went looking there, because I vaguely remembered seeing the issue before). So try again with a 1.9.x client, maybe there it's fixed.

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Anton Shepelev
Mark Phippard to Anton Shepelev:

> > Stefan Sperling:
> >
> > > Which version of svn are you using to run this
> > > merge?
> >
> > 1.8.17 (r1770682) as part of  CollabNet SVN.   I
> > am  not  at  all  certain we need its extra fea-
> > tures, but someone else has decided to use that.
>
> FWIW, that is just normal Subversion.  It is  just
> the  binaries  CollabNet built, packed and tested.
> There are no  customizations  applied  to  it.   I
> think  that  is  generally  true  of everyone that
> builds and packages Subversion binaries.

I fear we have SubversionEdge.

Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Anton Shepelev
Johan Corveleyn:

> This issue seems similar:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SVN-4582
>
> I  found this in the list of CHANGES [1] for 1.9.0
> (I went looking there, because  I  vaguely  remem-
> bered  seeing the issue before). So try again with
> a 1.9.x client, maybe there it's fixed.

The problem is still there with svn client 1.9.7.  I
did not upgrade any server components though.  Is it
a dangerous operation?

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 01:35:35PM +0300, Anton Shepelev wrote:

> Johan Corveleyn:
>
> > This issue seems similar:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SVN-4582
> >
> > I  found this in the list of CHANGES [1] for 1.9.0
> > (I went looking there, because  I  vaguely  remem-
> > bered  seeing the issue before). So try again with
> > a 1.9.x client, maybe there it's fixed.
>
> The problem is still there with svn client 1.9.7.

If your problem is rooted in issue #4582 then 1.8.x clients have already
created svn:mergeinfo properties which now confuse the reintegrate merge.

Update *all* your clients to 1.9.7, and the issue should disappear
with new branches created and managed with these up-to-date clients.

You can keep using your workaround (expand the working copy entirely)
for all existing branches.

In case the problem re-appears with a branch that was only touched
by 1.9.7 clients, please let us know.

> I did not upgrade any server components though.  Is it
> a dangerous operation?

It is not dangerous. Subversion has excellent backwards compatibility.
The server will always be able to work with repository data from
older releases without any problems.

You may not need to upgrade your server for this specific problem,
however I would still recommend an upgrade. 1.9.7 is _very_ stable
and contains a few years worth of bug fixes which aren't part of 1.8.x.
See http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.9.html
for the release notes of the 1.9 release, and in particular note the section
on compatibility which explains how to upgrade:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.10.html

Also note that 1.8.x will be in end of line status as soon as 1.10.0 is
released. There is no fixed date yet but we're currently aiming to release
1.10.0 in January 2018. The release notes for this release are here:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.10.html

Re: Problem with merge --reintegrate

Anton Shepelev
Stefan Sperling to Anton Shepelev:

> > The  problem  is  still  there  with  svn client
> > 1.9.7.
>
> If your problem is  rooted  in  issue  #4582  then
> 1.8.x  clients  have already created svn:mergeinfo
> properties  which  now  confuse  the   reintegrate
> merge.
>
> Update  *all* your clients to 1.9.7, and the issue
> should disappear with  new  branches  created  and
> managed with these up-to-date clients.
>
> You  can  keep  using  your workaround (expand the
> working copy entirely) for all existing branches.
>
> In case the problem re-appears with a branch  that
> was  only  touched by 1.9.7 clients, please let us
> know.

Thank you, Stefan, I will.

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.