Problem with external file

Peter Willis

Hello,

I am having an issue with an external (pointing to a file) included in one of my projects.

I have a single external in my repository that points to a file.

On my windows desktop I can check out the directory containing the external just fine.

The code checks out and the external also checks out.

The same repository path checked out using command line on another computer gives the following:

……………..BEGIN EXAMPLE

svn checkout --username myname --password mypass "svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/instrument_model/src/trunk/driver" .

A  README.txt

A  install_driver.sh

U .

Fetching external item into 'svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/driver/trunk/driver2015.ko'

svn: Unrecognized URL scheme 'driver2015.ko'

…………END EXAMPLE

I have removed the external and redefined it to no avail.

SVN is not complaining about the revision control path (ie:  'svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/driver/trunk/aslacq2015.ko' )

In fact, I can check out 'svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/driver/trunk’ into a different working directory (on the problem machine) and I get that file.

SVN is actually complaining about the *FILE* path of the external in the working directory as though it is a problem URL. (?!!)

Is there any reason why it should work on one computer and not another?

Thanks

Re: Problem with external file

Branko Čibej
On 15.06.2017 22:35, Peter Willis wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am having an issue with an external (pointing to a file) included in
> one of my projects.
>

> I have a single external in my repository that points to a file.
>

> On my windows desktop I can check out the directory containing the
> external just fine.
>
> The code checks out and the external also checks out.
>

> The same repository path checked out using command line on another
> computer gives the following:
>

> ……………..BEGIN EXAMPLE
>

> svn checkout --username myname --password mypass
> "svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/instrument_model/src/trunk/driver" .
>
> A  README.txt
>
> A  install_driver.sh
>
> U .
>

> Fetching external item into
> 'svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/driver/trunk/driver2015.ko'
>
> svn: Unrecognized URL scheme 'driver2015.ko'
>

> …………END EXAMPLE
>

> I have removed the external and redefined it to no avail.
>

> SVN is not complaining about the revision control path (ie:
> 'svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/driver/trunk/aslacq2015.ko' )
>
> In fact, I can check out 'svn://svn.myoffice.net/repos/driver/trunk’
> into a different working directory (on the problem machine) and I get
> that file.
>

> SVN is actually complaining about the *FILE* path of the external in
> the working directory as though it is a problem URL. (?!!)
>

> Is there any reason why it should work on one computer and not another?

Can you show the output of 'svn --version' on that computer where it
doesn't work? It looks like your Subversion was compiled without support
for the svn:// protocol (which would be really strange).

RE: Problem with external file

Peter Willis
>Can you show the output of 'svn --version' on that computer where it doesn't work? It looks like your Subversion was compiled without support for the svn:// protocol (which would be really strange).
>
>-- Brane

Yes, the output of that is:

svn --version
svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
   compiled May 13 2005, 06:44:42

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' schema
  - handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' schema

On 15.06.2017 23:21, Peter Willis wrote:
>> Can you show the output of 'svn --version' on that computer where it doesn't work? It looks like your Subversion was compiled without support for the svn:// protocol (which would be really strange).
>>
>> -- Brane
> Yes, the output of that is:
>
> svn --version
> svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
>    compiled May 13 2005, 06:44:42

Really? Version 1.1.4? Because support for file externals was added in
version 1.6.0, so I'm not really surprised your checkout fails. :)

Perhaps you could consider upgrading your client?

RE: Problem with external file

Peter Willis

>Really? Version 1.1.4? Because support for file externals was added in version 1.6.0, so I'm not really surprised your checkout fails. :)
>
>Perhaps you could consider upgrading your client?
>
>-- Brane

O.K. thanks that makes sense.
Out of date package of SVN.
The failed client is on an embedded device with Ubuntu 'Sarge' as the OS which is from the 'way-back machine'.

I could try to build SVN using source, but I have my doubts.
I'll just keep moving the file manually.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

On 15.06.2017 23:41, Peter Willis wrote:
>> Really? Version 1.1.4? Because support for file externals was added in version 1.6.0, so I'm not really surprised your checkout fails. :)
>>
>> Perhaps you could consider upgrading your client?
>>
>> -- Brane
> O.K. thanks that makes sense.
> Out of date package of SVN.
> The failed client is on an embedded device with Ubuntu 'Sarge' as the OS which is from the 'way-back machine'.

That would be Debian Sarge. Debian backports has svn 1.4 ... too old,
I'm afraid.

> I could try to build SVN using source, but I have my doubts.

It's not inconceivable that you could build 1.6, but getting all the
dependencies lined up could be a pain on Sarge, indeed.

> I'll just keep moving the file manually.

Or you can just make a copy of the file in the repository instead of a
file external? Or a normal "directory" external and a symlink to the
right place?

RE: Problem with external file

Peter Willis

>That would be Debian Sarge. Debian backports has svn 1.4 ... too old, I'm afraid.
>
>> I could try to build SVN using source, but I have my doubts.
>
>It's not inconceivable that you could build 1.6, but getting all the dependencies lined up could be a pain on Sarge, indeed.
>
> I'll just keep moving the file manually.
>
>Or you can just make a copy of the file in the repository instead of a file external? Or a normal "directory" external and a symlink to the right place?
>
>-- Brane

Unfortunately, I am working between MS OS and Linux. The soft link would only work on one of those.  MS uses a   '.lnk'  file for links and Linux uses an actual file system hallmark.

Stuck with the file I guess....

Thanks again.

Peter