Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Paul Jones (ICT)

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you in regards to your application/system “Subversion” that we use in Bridgend County Borough Council

We are going to be moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 over the next few months and we would like to know:-

1.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible to work with Windows 10 and above ?

2.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible to work with Microsoft Office 2013 and above ?

Can you please reply back to us as soon as possible with any concerns you have before we progress with this rollout ?

Kind Regards

Paul

Paul Jones

Support Team Leader

ICT Department

Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Pen-Y-Bont ar Ogwr / Bridgend County Borough Council

Ffon / Tel : 01656 642135

E-bost / E-mail : [hidden email]

E-bost yn cael ei logio, ei monitro a/neu ei chofnodi yn awtomatig am resymau cyfreithiol
Peidiwch ag argraffu’r neges e-bost hon oni bai fod hynny’n gwbl angenrheidiol.
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg. Rhowch wybod i ni os mai Cymraeg yw eich dewis iaith.
E-mail may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.
Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary.
We welcome correspondence in Welsh. Please let us know if your language choice is Welsh.

This e-mail and any attachments transmitted with it represents the
views of the individual(s) who sent them and should not be regarded
as the official view of Bridgend County Borough Council. The contents
are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If
you have received it in error, please inform the system administrator
on (+44) 01656 642111.

This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned with 'Mcafee ' -
http://www.mcafee.com/

Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiadau a drosglwyddir gydag ef yn cynrychioli
safbwyntiau'r unigolyn a'i anfonodd (unigolion a'u hanfonodd) ac ni ddylid eu
hystyried fel safbwynt swyddogol Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr.
Mae'r cynnwys yn gyfrinachol ac wedi'i fwriadu ar gyfer y sawl y'i cyfeiriwyd ato
yn unig. Os ydych wedi ei dderbyn mewn camgymeriad, rhowch wybod i weinyddwr y
system ar (+44) 01656 642111.

Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiadau wedi cael eu sganio gyda 'Mcafee' -
http://www.mcafee.com/

Re: Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Stefan Hett-2
Hi Paul,
On 2/21/2017 9:39 AM, Paul Jones (ICT) wrote:

[...]

The Apache Subversion project doesn't provide binary distributions of Subversion itself. Therefore I highly suspect your question goes towards asking whether some Subversion distribution is compatible with Windows 10. I suggest you contact the appropriate distributor.

FWIW: The subversion code base supports the Visual Studio compiler (up to the most recent one) and there are no issues with getting Subversion running on Windows 10 which I'd be aware of. That said: All the current builds for MaxSVN [1] (an experimental SVN developer focused distribution) are tested on Windows 10 and work fine there.

[1] http://www.luke1410.de/typo3/index.php?id=97

Stefan Hett

Re: Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Daniel Shahaf-2
Stefan Hett wrote on Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 15:12:25 +0100:
> That said: All the current builds for MaxSVN [1] (an experimental SVN
> developer focused distribution) are tested on Windows 10 and work fine
> there.

MaxSVN is maintained by Stefan.  (The svn devs know this, but not
everyone on users@ does.)

> [1] http://www.luke1410.de/typo3/index.php?id=97
>
> --
> Regards,
> Stefan Hett

RE: Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Bert Huijben-5

It really depends on the distribution you use for the fine details, but I
can say that for the CollabNet and SlikSVN Subversion binaries and other
products based on SharpSvn (including AnkhSVN), Windows 10 is a fully
supported platform.

        Bert

On 2/22/2017 9:42 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Stefan Hett wrote on Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 15:12:25 +0100:
>> That said: All the current builds for MaxSVN [1] (an experimental SVN
>> developer focused distribution) are tested on Windows 10 and work fine
>> there.
> MaxSVN is maintained by Stefan.  (The svn devs know this, but not
> everyone on users@ does.)
Thanks Daniel. Should have mentioned this and re-reading my original
answer I see that it makes impression I do some self-advertisement here.
To be clear: The only aim of providing this sample was to provide
validateable proof for the OP to confirm Subversion in deed is working
with Windows 10.

As Bert already stated other distributions are supporting Windows 10
just fine. A list of some of the Windows SVN distributions is also
available here [1]. TortoiseSVN and VisualSVN are two which we use in
our company for instance also on Windows 10 machines and they do work
just fine.

[1] https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#windows

Stefan Hett

Stefan Hett wrote on Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:03:13 +0100:
> On 2/22/2017 9:42 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> >Stefan Hett wrote on Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 15:12:25 +0100:
> >>That said: All the current builds for MaxSVN [1] (an experimental SVN
> >>developer focused distribution) are tested on Windows 10 and work fine
> >>there.
> >MaxSVN is maintained by Stefan.  (The svn devs know this, but not
> >everyone on users@ does.)
> Thanks Daniel. Should have mentioned this and re-reading my original answer
> I see that it makes impression I do some self-advertisement here.

> To be clear: The only aim of providing this sample was to provide
> validateable proof for the OP to confirm Subversion in deed is working with
> Windows 10.

Thanks for the clarification, Stefan.  I didn't think you were self-
advertising, either; but as you say, a disclaimer would have helped to
avoid the *impression* of self-advertising, which is just as important.

> As Bert already stated other distributions are supporting Windows 10 just
> fine. A list of some of the Windows SVN distributions is also available here
> [1]. TortoiseSVN and VisualSVN are two which we use in our company for
> instance also on Windows 10 machines and they do work just fine.
>
> [1] https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#windows

Re: Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

bahrep
Hello,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Paul Jones (ICT)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I am writing to you in regards to your application/system “Subversion” that we use in Bridgend County Borough Council
>
> We are going to be moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 over the next few months and we would like to know:-
>
> 1.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible to work with Windows 10 and above ?
>
> 2.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible to work with Microsoft Office 2013 and above ?
>
> Can you please reply back to us as soon as possible with any concerns you have before we progress with this rollout ?

If you ask about VisualSVN Server or VisualSVN plug-in, both products
support Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin
VisualSVN Team

Re: Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Nico Kadel-Garcia-2
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Paul Jones (ICT)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>

> I am writing to you in regards to your application/system “Subversion” that
> we use in Bridgend County Borough Council
>

> We are going to be moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 over the next few
> months and we would like to know:-
>
> 1.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible
> to work with Windows 10 and above ?
>
> 2.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible
> to work with Microsoft Office 2013 and above ?

Not as a developer, but as an engineer who's used and and activated
servers for it in a number of businesses: it's open source software,
it's well supported by the user community, there is a large user
community using it on Windows 10 for various professional business
environments. If you need user support for Windows 10, I'd look to the
"TortoiseSVN" packages which integrates quite well with all supported
versions of Windows and is based on the current Subversion release. If
you need Subversion server support, I'd reach out to Wandisco for
large scale support, or any local systems administrators who've worked
with at school or in other roles.

It's easy to setup, the guidebook at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ is
*the* reference guide for new users and administrators,

> Can you please reply back to us as soon as possible with any concerns you
> have before we progress with this rollout ?

Since you've not mentioned the details of your rollout, it's difficult
to offer any guidance or suggestons. I would suggest that you think
about security policies, since Subversion clients often store
passwords in plain text, by default. They do try to warn you before
doing so, but some foolish people ignore this and accidentally store
critical passwords in places they can be stolen.

I'd also strongly review the workflow of when do you make a branch,
and when are changes committed to the master. And I'd review backup
procedures and practices for the master:

> Kind Regards
>

> Paul
>

> Paul Jones
>
> Support Team Leader
>
> ICT Department
>

> Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Pen-Y-Bont ar Ogwr / Bridgend County Borough
> Council
>
> Ffon / Tel : 01656 642135
>
> E-bost / E-mail : [hidden email]
>

> ________________________________
>
> E-bost yn cael ei logio, ei monitro a/neu ei chofnodi yn awtomatig am
> resymau cyfreithiol
> Peidiwch ag argraffu’r neges e-bost hon oni bai fod hynny’n gwbl
> angenrheidiol.
> Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg. Rhowch wybod i ni os mai Cymraeg yw
> eich dewis iaith.
> E-mail may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal
> purposes.
> Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary.
> We welcome correspondence in Welsh. Please let us know if your language
> choice is Welsh.
>
> This e-mail and any attachments transmitted with it represents the
> views of the individual(s) who sent them and should not be regarded
> as the official view of Bridgend County Borough Council. The contents
> are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If
> you have received it in error, please inform the system administrator
> on (+44) 01656 642111.
>
> This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned with 'Mcafee ' -
> http://www.mcafee.com/

> Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiadau a drosglwyddir gydag ef yn cynrychioli
> safbwyntiau'r unigolyn a'i anfonodd (unigolion a'u hanfonodd) ac ni ddylid
> eu
> hystyried fel safbwynt swyddogol Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Pen-y-bont ar
> Ogwr.
> Mae'r cynnwys yn gyfrinachol ac wedi'i fwriadu ar gyfer y sawl y'i
> cyfeiriwyd ato
> yn unig. Os ydych wedi ei dderbyn mewn camgymeriad, rhowch wybod i weinyddwr
> system ar (+44) 01656 642111.
>
> Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiadau wedi cael eu sganio gyda 'Mcafee' -
> http://www.mcafee.com/

Re: Is Subversion compatible and supported for Windows 10?

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Paul Jones (ICT)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Sir/Madam
>>

>> I am writing to you in regards to your application/system “Subversion” that
>> we use in Bridgend County Borough Council
>>

>> We are going to be moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 over the next few
>> months and we would like to know:-
>>
>> 1.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible
>> to work with Windows 10 and above ?
>>
>> 2.       If your application/system is going to be supported and compatible
>> to work with Microsoft Office 2013 and above ?
>
> Not as a developer, but as an engineer who's used and and activated
> servers for it in a number of businesses: it's open source software,
> it's well supported by the user community, there is a large user
> community using it on Windows 10 for various professional business
> environments. If you need user support for Windows 10, I'd look to the
> "TortoiseSVN" packages which integrates quite well with all supported
> versions of Windows and is based on the current Subversion release. If
> you need Subversion server support, I'd reach out to Wandisco for
> large scale support, ...

For a Subversion Server distribution that's Windows-oriented my first
thought would be VisualSVN, which has specific Windows integration
features (and an enterprise edition with extra Windows features and
support etc.).

But in general CollabNet or Wandisco's packages would do as well I guess ...
See http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#windows

(Disclaimer: I'm an independent contributor to SVN, I'm not affiliated
to any of the companies surrounding SVN development.)