How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:11 PM, asfgit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Github user asfgit closed the pull request at:
>
>     https://github.com/apache/subversion/pull/6
>
>
> ---

Anybody knows why asfgit closed the PR?

I've clicked on the above hyperlink, and saw some comments made by
Julian (11 hours ago) and by the submitter (8 hours ago), but these
comments are not visible on dev@. Shouldn't those be synced back here
somehow? Or how should we handle PR's, preferably with a process
that's still centered around the dev@ mailinglist?

If we can't really handle PR's well, maybe we shouldn't allow them
(i.e. indicate this on github somehow, that it's just a mirror and we
won't accept PR's, but expect patch submissions on dev@ instead)?

--
Johan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Paul Hammant-3

Anybody knows why asfgit closed the PR?

I've clicked on the above hyperlink, and saw some comments made by
Julian (11 hours ago) and by the submitter (8 hours ago), but these
comments are not visible on dev@. Shouldn't those be synced back here
somehow? Or how should we handle PR's, preferably with a process
that's still centered around the dev@ mailinglist?

If we can't really handle PR's well, maybe we shouldn't allow them
(i.e. indicate this on github somehow, that it's just a mirror and we
won't accept PR's, but expect patch submissions on dev@ instead)?


If you ask people comfortable with donating code via PR to email patches (or similar) to dev@ instead, you'll get a 1/100th contribution rate. Or worse.

There's no easy answer.

Partially related - I'd previously whined about GitHub's lock-in for some data and wrote - https://github.com/paul-hammant/pull-request-scraper - which probably needs refreshing since last using it. 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Stefan Sperling-9
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 05:32:21PM -0400, Paul Hammant wrote:

> >
> >
> > Anybody knows why asfgit closed the PR?
> >
> > I've clicked on the above hyperlink, and saw some comments made by
> > Julian (11 hours ago) and by the submitter (8 hours ago), but these
> > comments are not visible on dev@. Shouldn't those be synced back here
> > somehow? Or how should we handle PR's, preferably with a process
> > that's still centered around the dev@ mailinglist?
> >
> > If we can't really handle PR's well, maybe we shouldn't allow them
> > (i.e. indicate this on github somehow, that it's just a mirror and we
> > won't accept PR's, but expect patch submissions on dev@ instead)?
> >
> >
> If you ask people comfortable with donating code via PR to email patches
> (or similar) to dev@ instead, you'll get a 1/100th contribution rate. Or
> worse.
>
> There's no easy answer.

Couldn't some automated process mail PRs from github as (--git) diffs to dev@?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Jacek Materna
There's webhooks in place yes- we could setup a middleman like zapier to send "records" via an exchange for archive purposes. More than happy to setup or help setup. Typical use case Johan, for those wanting a "log" of github activity.

Thoughts?

-jacek

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 05:32:21PM -0400, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >
> >
> > Anybody knows why asfgit closed the PR?
> >
> > I've clicked on the above hyperlink, and saw some comments made by
> > Julian (11 hours ago) and by the submitter (8 hours ago), but these
> > comments are not visible on dev@. Shouldn't those be synced back here
> > somehow? Or how should we handle PR's, preferably with a process
> > that's still centered around the dev@ mailinglist?
> >
> > If we can't really handle PR's well, maybe we shouldn't allow them
> > (i.e. indicate this on github somehow, that it's just a mirror and we
> > won't accept PR's, but expect patch submissions on dev@ instead)?
> >
> >
> If you ask people comfortable with donating code via PR to email patches
> (or similar) to dev@ instead, you'll get a 1/100th contribution rate. Or
> worse.
>
> There's no easy answer.

Couldn't some automated process mail PRs from github as (--git) diffs to dev@?



--

Jacek Materna
Chief Technology Officer

Assembla
+1 210 410 7661
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Daniel Shahaf-2
Jacek Materna wrote on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 16:47 -0500:
> There's webhooks in place yes- we could setup a middleman like zapier to
> send "records" via an exchange for archive purposes. More than happy to
> setup or help setup. Typical use case Johan, for those wanting a "log" of
> github activity.
>
> Thoughts?

Bidirectional mail gateway --- the contributor adds comments on GH web
interface, we reply via email --- would be better than just an email-based log
(which, I think, is what you're describing).
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Daniel Shahaf-2
In reply to this post by Stefan Sperling-9
Stefan Sperling wrote on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:44 +0200:
> Couldn't some automated process mail PRs from github as (--git) diffs to dev@?

Moreover, if the submitter's commits have a valid email address on them
(and the domain doesn't use strict SPF records), that automated process
can even set the "From:" header to the submitter's from address, so
replies go to him via email directly.

But the thing is, github _already_ has a bidirectional email gateway for
PRs, it's part of their service.  And it works even for people who don't
use a valid email address on commits.  Maybe we can reuse that somehow?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

Daniel Shahaf-2
In reply to this post by Paul Hammant-3
Paul Hammant wrote on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:32 -0400:
> If you ask people comfortable with donating code via PR to email patches
> (or similar) to dev@ instead, you'll get a 1/100th contribution rate. Or
> worse.

FWIW my experience is the opposite.  On $otherproject we also receive
patches via email but have a github mirror that people sometimes open
PRs on; we generally either merge their patches directly or ask them to
re-send by email, to which they usually respond positively.  (But on the other
hand, I have also seen people who plain don't know how to participate in
an open source project that doesn't use github.)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's (was: [GitHub] subversion pull request #6: VC should be 14.1 and not 15.0)

James McCoy-3
In reply to this post by Daniel Shahaf-2
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 12:51:34AM +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> Stefan Sperling wrote on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 23:44 +0200:
> > Couldn't some automated process mail PRs from github as (--git) diffs to dev@?
>
> Moreover, if the submitter's commits have a valid email address on them
> (and the domain doesn't use strict SPF records), that automated process
> can even set the "From:" header to the submitter's from address, so
> replies go to him via email directly.
>
> But the thing is, github _already_ has a bidirectional email gateway for
> PRs, it's part of their service.  And it works even for people who don't
> use a valid email address on commits.  Maybe we can reuse that somehow?

Christian Brabandt (@chrisbra) setup something like that for Vim.  If I
recall correctly, he created a dedicated account and had it receive all
notifications for the vim/vim repository.  That account then forwards to
the vim-dev list.  Since all notifications have GitHub's usual reply
email, people are able to reply and have it show up on GitHub.

However, there has also been various problems with it.  Sometimes when a
user comments directly on GitHub, the list email shows up as from
someone else.  Sometimes the list responses show up on GitHub as
"vim-dev ml" instead of the actual user.  Sometimes list users reply
only to the list instead of keeping GitHub in the loop, so then you've
lost the flow of the discussion.

It's not possible to disable pull requests on GitHub repos, even when
GitHub knows it is a "mirror" repository.  If there's not a good way to
integrate the discussion between the list and PRs (which seems to be the
case from my experience with Vim), I'd be in favor of disabling the
repo.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/91BF BF4D 6956 BD5D F7B7  2D23 DFE6 91AE 331B A3DB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to manage PR's

Julian Foad-5
In reply to this post by Johan Corveleyn-3
Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:11 PM, asfgit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Github user asfgit closed the pull request at:
>>
>>      https://github.com/apache/subversion/pull/6
>
> Anybody knows why asfgit closed the PR?

It was because I committed the patch (r1811752) and included "This
closes #6" in the log message.

> I've clicked on the above hyperlink, and saw some comments made by
> Julian (11 hours ago) and by the submitter (8 hours ago), but these
> comments are not visible on dev@. Shouldn't those be synced back here
> somehow? Or how should we handle PR's, preferably with a process
> that's still centered around the dev@ mailinglist?

As others have noted, the 'integration' with Github is primitive. I
raised ASF-infra ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15015 "Pull-request replies
sent to dev@ not getting through to GitHub" where Daniel Gruno wrote:

"The feature is currently not in a working condition (it relied on an
old FreeBSD setup). I have removed the misleading hint from future
GitHub emails. We may revisit and re-enable in the future, but at
present, it is not a service feature we offer any longer."

And now I see that not even PR follow-up messages from the GH side are
coming through.

> If we can't really handle PR's well, maybe we shouldn't allow them
> (i.e. indicate this on github somehow, that it's just a mirror and we
> won't accept PR's, but expect patch submissions on dev@ instead)?

I would love it if we could set up an integration that worked. I've been
thinking to locate the other ASF people who are interested and join them.

Another thought: Maybe GitLab or Assembla would be easier to start with
than GitHub. Here's an svn mirror on GitLab, that I set up:

   https://gitlab.com/julianfoad/apache-subversion/

GitLab allows PRs to be turned off in its standard configuration
settings, so I've done that. I haven't looked at all into integrating
with ASF mailing lists.

- Julian