Creating directory copy operations in a dump stream

Creating directory copy operations in a dump stream

Eric S. Raymond
After years of eyeballing Subversion dump streams as part of making
reposurgeon work, I have belatedly realized there is a dump stream
operation I don't know how to generate with the CLI.  And I need to
to get good test load coverage.

If, in a normally-set up Subversion repository, I create and commit
three files under trunk and then do "svn copy trunk branches/stable",
what I see being generated into the dump is three file copies to
stable.

That's fine, but I also want to be able to generate a *directory* copy.
I see these in the dump files I get in bug reports.  Here's an
example:

Node-path: tags/1.0rc1
Node-kind: dir
Node-action: add
Node-copyfrom-rev: 5
Node-copyfrom-path: tags/1.0

How do I generate this kind of operation from the CLI - that is, a copy of the
whole directory rather than a wildcarded copy of all of its files?

All governments are more or less combinations against the
people. . .and as rulers have no more virtue than the ruled. . .
the power of government can only be kept within its constituted
bounds by the display of a power equal to itself, the collected
sentiment of the people.
        -- Benjamin Franklin Bache, in a Phildelphia Aurora editorial 1794

Re: Creating directory copy operations in a dump stream

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM Eric S. Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After years of eyeballing Subversion dump streams as part of making
> reposurgeon work, I have belatedly realized there is a dump stream
> operation I don't know how to generate with the CLI.  And I need to
> to get good test load coverage.
>
> If, in a normally-set up Subversion repository, I create and commit
> three files under trunk and then do "svn copy trunk branches/stable",
> what I see being generated into the dump is three file copies to
> stable.
>
> That's fine, but I also want to be able to generate a *directory* copy.
> I see these in the dump files I get in bug reports.  Here's an
> example:
>
> Node-path: tags/1.0rc1
> Node-kind: dir
> Node-action: add
> Node-copyfrom-rev: 5
> Node-copyfrom-path: tags/1.0
>
> How do I generate this kind of operation from the CLI - that is, a copy of the
> whole directory rather than a wildcarded copy of all of its files?

I'd try two things:

- Just guessing here, but perhaps the problem with your test is that
your working copy is "mixed-revision" after you added the three files.
I.e. the 'trunk' directory is a revision behind, after you added the
three files. See if it makes a difference if you do "svn up $wc_root"
before performing the "svn copy trunk branches/stable".

- Maybe you can get what you want by performing a server-side copy,
instead of in your working copy and then committing. I.e. "svn copy
$url/trunk $url/branches/stable".

Johan Corveleyn <[hidden email]>:
> - Just guessing here, but perhaps the problem with your test is that
> your working copy is "mixed-revision" after you added the three files.
> I.e. the 'trunk' directory is a revision behind, after you added the
> three files. See if it makes a difference if you do "svn up $wc_root"
> before performing the "svn copy trunk branches/stable".

That did the trick, thanks.

For your entertainment, here's how the test koad generator now looks:

## General test load for ancestry-chasing logic

dump=no
verbose=null
while getopts dv opt
do
    case $opt in
        d) dump=yes;;
        v) verbose=stdout;;
    esac
done

trap 'rm -fr test-repo test-checkout' 0 1 2 15

svnaction () {
    filename=$1
    content=$2
    comment=$3
    if [ ! -f $filename ]
    then
        if [ ! -d `dirname $filename` ]
        then
            mkdir `dirname $filename`
            svn add `dirname $filename`
        fi
        echo "$content" >$filename
        svn add $filename
    else
        echo "$content" >$filename
    fi
    svn commit -m "$comment" $filename
}

{
set -e
make svn-branchy
cd test-checkout
# Content operations start here
svnaction "trunk/foo.txt" "Now is the time." "More example content"
svnaction "trunk/bar.txt" "For all good men." "Example content in different file"
svnaction "trunk/baz.txt" "to come to the aid of their country." "And in yet another file"
svn up  # Without this, the next copy does file copies.  With it, a directory copy.
svn copy trunk branches/stable
svn commit -m "First directory copy"
svnaction "trunk/foo.txt" "Whether tis nobler in the mind." "Hamlet the Dane said this"
svnaction "trunk/bar.txt" "or to take arms against a sea of troubles" "He continued"
svnaction "trunk/baz.txt" "and by opposing end them" "The build-up"
svnaction "trunk/foo.txt" "to be,"  "Famous soliloquy begins"
svnaction "branches/foo.txt" "or not to be." "And continues"
svn up
svn copy trunk tags/1.0
svn commit -m "First tag copy"
# We're done
cd ..
} >/dev/$verbose 2>&1
if [ "$dump" = yes ]
then
    svnadmin dump -q test-repo
fi

This will get longer and include the most perverse combinations of
deletes and copies I can dream up. The point, of course, is to
torture-test my Subversion dump analyzer.

I have a fairly nice gallmaufry of static stream dumps I've gathered
or made by hand over the years; being able to generate them easily
will be helpful.