Checkpointing v1 design

12

Re: Checkpointing v1 design -- terminology

Paul Hammant-3
$ svn save --revert -v2 "add hair color to person page"

.. does the save and THEN drops the CL and it's changes in working copy - back to no changes but not necessarily up to date.

That sounds like you're proposing an alternative syntax for what the 'shelve' command does -- except I'm not sure what you want the 'v2' option to do here; was that accidental?

Maybe alternate, sure.

$ svn savelist

add hair color to person page; v1
add hair color to person page; v1.2
add hair color to person page; whatever_passes_fora_versn_string

$ svn save -v v2 -m "add hair color to person page"
# Overwrites v2, perhaps would need a --force.

$ svn save -v three
# Created a new 'three' version of (implicit) "add hair color to person page"

$ svn save -v three --revert
# As above but also deletes the changelist and any changes to working copy versus last 'svn up'

$ svn restore -v three
# Creates a CL with all those changes on them.

Oh and shelve/save/checkpoint would all reuse impl as they are pretty close. As does "Pull-request" (PR).

$ svn pull-request -m "add hair color to person page"
# Goes into codereview for Rietveld, Assembla, RhodeCode (etc),
# Possibly needing a plugin, or CURL configuration in .subversion/

- Paul

Re: Checkpointing v1 design

Julian Foad wrote:
> [...]
> This aims to streamline the manual method, which I use myself, of using
> 'svn diff' and 'svn patch' to create and apply patches named
> 'feature-v1.patch', 'feature-v2.patch', etc.

An initial version is now committed to 'shelve-checkpoint' branch.

- Julian
12