Building Subversion.

Paul Hammant-3
The tests made for https://github.com/apache/subversion/pull/5 didn't even require me to have Svn on my system. That's because I'm asserting against a series of expected shell operations, because that's how the author implemented svn-viewspec

Has anyone built Subversion on a Mac?
If yes, do you have the homebrew installables you needed handy? #LemmeKnowPls

Observations:
  1. README and INSTALL don't have a TLDR "building subversion" section.
  2. .. should be converted to markdown with a .md suffix (industry convention)
  3. "IV. QUICKSTART GUIDE - See the final section of the first chapter of the Subversion Book]" should instead be inlined.
  4. "V. CONVERTING FROM CVS" should be relegated to similarly named file

GitHub have some general advice on readme's - https://guides.github.com/features/wikis/
However, there's an effort to cajole the github masses into making better readmes here - https://www.makeareadme.com/

Generally, the Subversion project should depend less on the Redbean book. http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/index.html is about 1.8 and it's marked as DRAFT. There's no 1.9 or 1.10. While it is great that Msssrs. Collins-Sussman, Fitzpatrick and Pilato persuaded O'Reilly to allow a full public HTML version of the same, the Subversion project itself needs some independence.

- Paul

Re: Building Subversion.

Nathan Hartman
Generally, the Subversion project should depend less on the Redbean book. http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/index.html is about 1.8 and it's marked as DRAFT. There's no 1.9 or 1.10. While it is great that Msssrs. Collins-Sussman, Fitzpatrick and Pilato persuaded O'Reilly to allow a full public HTML version of the same, the Subversion project itself needs some independence.
Moving the Subversion project away from the Redbean book may only serve to discourage participation. Since the Redbean book is the only game in town and is a good resource, I think it needs more contributions, not competition, to help get it up to date. It's on my long to-do list to send in some patches and I'm hoping others will jump in too, particularly to write a chapter on some advanced real world usage scenarios, like workflow strategies to scale up a development team successfully and how to deal with complex merges. The rest of the book is great but this higher level knowledge isn't written down ANYWHERE, not in this book and not in any other book. It's top secret stuff locked away in a few people's heads and it needs to be written.

Re: Building Subversion.

Paul Hammant-3
The needs of the book are different to the needs of the Svn project. And the needs of the project are far more important than one of a few Svn books.

I'm going to stand by what I said.

-ph

Re: Building Subversion.

Stefan Sperling
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 08:24:35AM -0400, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> It's on my
> long to-do list to send in some patches and I'm hoping others will
> jump in too, particularly to write a chapter on some advanced real
> world usage scenarios, like workflow strategies to scale up a
> development team successfully and how to deal with complex merges. The
> rest of the book is great but this higher level knowledge isn't
> written down ANYWHERE, not in this book and not in any other book.
> It's top secret stuff locked away in a few people's heads and it needs
> to be written.

I am looking forward to these contributions, being one of the
people who carry the burden of such knowledge in their heads :)

Please send any patches to the svnbook-dev list. I'm sure they will
be appreciated.

Re: Building Subversion.

On 14.09.2017 13:36, Paul Hammant wrote:
> The tests made for https://github.com/apache/subversion/pull/5 didn't
> even require me to have Svn on my system. That's because I'm asserting
> against a series of expected shell operations, because that's how the
> author implemented svn-viewspec
>
> Has anyone built Subversion on a Mac?

All the time.

> If yes, do you have the homebrew installables you needed handy?
> #LemmeKnowPls

"brew install subversion"?

> Observations:
>
>  1. README and INSTALL don't have a TLDR "building subversion" section.
>  2. .. should be converted to markdown with a .md suffix (industry
>     convention)

No, GitHub convention. We don't use GitHub. You're just making yourself
jump through extra hoops by doing so.

Re: Building Subversion.

Stefan Sperling
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 08:29:25AM -0400, Paul Hammant wrote:
> The needs of the book are different to the needs of the Svn project. And
> the needs of the project are far more important than one of a few Svn books.

I don't understand this reasoning.
The book doesn't receive the attention it deserves because of lack of
developer time, not because it has "different needs".

You're making it sound as if these projects were entirely unrelated,
which is simply not true. Even just in terms of people working on
these two very much related projects, there is quite a lot of overlap.

Re: Building Subversion.

On 14.09.2017 15:05, Branko Čibej wrote:

> On 14.09.2017 13:36, Paul Hammant wrote:
>> The tests made for https://github.com/apache/subversion/pull/5 didn't
>> even require me to have Svn on my system. That's because I'm asserting
>> against a series of expected shell operations, because that's how the
>> author implemented svn-viewspec
>>
>> Has anyone built Subversion on a Mac?
> All the time.
>
>> If yes, do you have the homebrew installables you needed handy?
>> #LemmeKnowPls
> "brew install subversion"?
For building from source you'll need apr, apr-util, and serf; serf is
not a standalone package in homebrew, but it is part of its subversion
install. So when I build from source I install homebrew's subversion and
use serf from there. My generic configure script is attached. For
building from trunk, for example, I just create a symlink to the script
called config.trunk. Oh, and I use a ramdisk for build artefacts and for
running tests; speeds things up quite a bit.

I also test with BDB and (used to) with Neon, those are standalone
homebrew packages.

-- Brane

configure.sh.txt (4K) Download Attachment
create-test-ramdisk.sh.txt (324 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Building Subversion.

Paul Hammant-3

> If yes, do you have the homebrew installables you needed handy?
> #LemmeKnowPls

"brew install subversion"?

I've done't that already, but I'm switching hats from 'user' to 'developer' of subversion.  The brew installables I was thinking of were the development pre-requisites for APR, Serf, Sqlite, libz, OpenSSL netwide assembler, BerkeleyDB, libsasl etc.

-ph