BDB4.3 conversion

Simon Large
Hi folks,

Your FAQ gives the following method of upgrading to BDB4.3

* Make sure no process is accessing the repository (stop Apache,
  svnserve, restrict access via file://, svnlook, svnadmin, etc.)

* Using an older svnadmin binary (that is, linked to an older
BerkeleyDB):
     1. Recover the repository: 'svnadmin recover /path/to/repository'
     2. Make a backup of the repository.
     3. Delete all unused log files. You can see them by running
        'svnadmin list-unused-dblogs /path/to/repeository'
     4. Delete the shared-memory files. These are files in the
        repository's db/ directory, of the form __db.00*

Steps 3 & 4 sound potentially scary for inexperienced users, and I was
wondering if you could achieve the same thing more easily using these
steps:

1. svnadmin hotcopy /path/to/repos /path/to/repos43
2. mv /path/to/repos /path/to/backup
3. mv /path/to/repos43 /path/to/repos

Simon

--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: BDB4.3 conversion

Ben Collins-Sussman

On May 25, 2005, at 3:18 PM, Simon Large wrote:

> 1. svnadmin hotcopy /path/to/repos /path/to/repos43
> 2. mv /path/to/repos /path/to/backup
> 3. mv /path/to/repos43 /path/to/repos

This seems to remove the shared memory files, but there still seem to
be unused dblogs left behind....?

Re: BDB4.3 conversion

Simon Large
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On May 25, 2005, at 3:18 PM, Simon Large wrote:
>>
>> 1. svnadmin hotcopy /path/to/repos /path/to/repos43
>> 2. mv /path/to/repos /path/to/backup
>> 3. mv /path/to/repos43 /path/to/repos
>>

> This seems to remove the shared memory files, but there still seem to
> be unused dblogs left behind....?

I omitted the --clean-logs switch. But it looks like svnadmin hotcopy is
leaving them in the backup, even with that switch.

Too late for the 4.3 upgrade, but it might be worthwhile adding
the --clean-logs switch to svnadmin list-unused-dblogs.

Simon