Automating create-a-release-branch

Julian Foad-5
I started writing a create-a-release-branch script to automate the part
of the procedure documented in
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-branches

Attached, in early draft form:
tools/dist/create-minor-release-branch.py
(contains bits from release.py)

Suggestions invited.

- Julian

create-minor-release-branch.py (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Automating create-a-release-branch

Julian Foad-5
Julian Foad wrote:
> I started writing a create-a-release-branch script to automate the part
> of the procedure documented in
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-branches
>
> Attached, in early draft form:
> tools/dist/create-minor-release-branch.py
[...]
> Suggestions invited.

This script is now committed at
   tools/dist/create-minor-release-branch.py

When it runs 'svn checkout' it adds '-r {2017-12-01}', in order to test
how it would have worked to create the 1.10 release branch. It uses a
date there rather than a revision number because multiple repositories
are involved.

When it wants to runs 'svn commit' and server-side 'svn copy', currently
it just prints these commands and does not run them.

Both of these facilities for testing are currently hard-coded. It needs
a way to enable/disable test mode from the command line.

Re: Automating create-a-release-branch

Branko Čibej
On 15.12.2017 16:31, Julian Foad wrote:

> Julian Foad wrote:
>> I started writing a create-a-release-branch script to automate the
>> part of the procedure documented in
>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-branches
>>
>> Attached, in early draft form:
>> tools/dist/create-minor-release-branch.py
> [...]
>> Suggestions invited.
>
> This script is now committed at
>   tools/dist/create-minor-release-branch.py
>
> When it runs 'svn checkout' it adds '-r {2017-12-01}', in order to
> test how it would have worked to create the 1.10 release branch. It
> uses a date there rather than a revision number because multiple
> repositories are involved.
>
> When it wants to runs 'svn commit' and server-side 'svn copy',
> currently it just prints these commands and does not run them.
>
> Both of these facilities for testing are currently hard-coded. It
> needs a way to enable/disable test mode from the command line.

Wouldn't it make sense for this to be part of release.py?

-- Brane