Apache SVN commit fail

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Apache SVN commit fail

Bill Huang-黃靖翔
Dear Sir:

I have a serious problem when I commit data to SVN server , 
It always in Committing transaction have a unknow problem .
When commit run to Committing transaction , it always need to wait 10 min and reply below error message:

Committing transaction...
svn: E175012: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: E175012: Connection timed out
svn: E200042: Additional errors:
svn: E175002: Unexpected server error 500 'Internal Server Error' on '/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/0-0'

May I know under what circumstances will this error result ?

I have tried many ways to exclude this error , but still has not been solved this problem

can please help us trubleshooting this problem ?

SVN server is ubuntu 16.04
SVN version is 1.9.3


Thanks


--


 unizyx-logo_color_ch_eg

www.unizyx.com.tw

Bill Huang 黃靖翔

Unizyx Holding Corporation

Information Service Section 1

<a href="tel:+886%203%20578%203942" target="_blank">+886-3- 5783942 ext. 81659

[hidden email]

All The Best,


This email and any files transmitted with it may contain information of Unizyx Holding Corporation that are privileged / confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, disclose, distribute, copy, or use this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.gmail
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Apache SVN commit fail

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM, 黃靖翔Bill Huang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a serious problem when I commit data to SVN server ,
> It always in Committing transaction have a unknow problem .
> When commit run to Committing transaction , it always need to wait 10 min and reply below error message:
>
> Committing transaction...
> svn: E175012: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E175012: Connection timed out
> svn: E200042: Additional errors:
> svn: E175002: Unexpected server error 500 'Internal Server Error' on '/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/0-0'
>
> May I know under what circumstances will this error result ?
>
> I have tried many ways to exclude this error , but still has not been solved this problem
>
> can please help us trubleshooting this problem ?
>
> SVN server is ubuntu 16.04
> SVN version is 1.9.3

You'll have to take a look at the error log on the server (or ask a
sysadmin to do that for you). There should be more information about
the reason for the 500 Internal Server Error.

--
Johan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Apache SVN commit fail

Bill Huang-黃靖翔
Dear Sir:

Attachment is my SVN server log , as described earlier ,  
when my user commit data and finally will wait for 10 minutes after the failure
I check SVN Log not show any detail message about this error.
and during that time keep monitor SVN server performance is normal

The only relevant is committing transaction will wait for 10 min and reply error.
In access log have show execute MERGE at 18:48:53 and after 10 minutes (18:58:54) show delete
error log shows Could not MERGE resource at 18:59:47

I don't have any idea for this error message can do something 

I try to adjust ./subversion http-timeout and apache2.conf ,
but did not solve it successfully.

May I know have any advice can provide?

Thank you for your help


2018-01-18 18:47 GMT+08:00 Johan Corveleyn <[hidden email]>:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM, 黃靖翔Bill Huang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a serious problem when I commit data to SVN server ,
> It always in Committing transaction have a unknow problem .
> When commit run to Committing transaction , it always need to wait 10 min and reply below error message:
>
> Committing transaction...
> svn: E175012: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E175012: Connection timed out
> svn: E200042: Additional errors:
> svn: E175002: Unexpected server error 500 'Internal Server Error' on '/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/0-0'
>
> May I know under what circumstances will this error result ?
>
> I have tried many ways to exclude this error , but still has not been solved this problem
>
> can please help us trubleshooting this problem ?
>
> SVN server is ubuntu 16.04
> SVN version is 1.9.3

You'll have to take a look at the error log on the server (or ask a
sysadmin to do that for you). There should be more information about
the reason for the 500 Internal Server Error.

--
Johan



--


 unizyx-logo_color_ch_eg

www.unizyx.com.tw

Bill Huang 黃靖翔

Unizyx Holding Corporation

Information Service Section 1

<a href="tel:+886%203%20578%203942" target="_blank">+886-3- 5783942 ext. 81659

[hidden email]

All The Best,


This email and any files transmitted with it may contain information of Unizyx Holding Corporation that are privileged / confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, disclose, distribute, copy, or use this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.gmail

access_log.txt (153K) Download Attachment
error_log.txt (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Apache SVN commit fail

Johan Corveleyn-3
[ Hi, please don't top-post on this list, i.e. put your reply at the
bottom or inline. And preferably use plain-text emails. I've
re-arranged your reply into a bottom-post. More below. ]

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 3:04 AM, 黃靖翔Bill Huang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2018-01-18 18:47 GMT+08:00 Johan Corveleyn <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM, 黃靖翔Bill Huang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have a serious problem when I commit data to SVN server ,
>> > It always in Committing transaction have a unknow problem .
>> > When commit run to Committing transaction , it always need to wait 10 min and reply below error message:
>> >
>> > Committing transaction...
>> > svn: E175012: Commit failed (details follow):
>> > svn: E175012: Connection timed out
>> > svn: E200042: Additional errors:
>> > svn: E175002: Unexpected server error 500 'Internal Server Error' on '/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/0-0'
>> >
>> > May I know under what circumstances will this error result ?
>> >
>> > I have tried many ways to exclude this error , but still has not been solved this problem
>> >
>> > can please help us trubleshooting this problem ?
>> >
>> > SVN server is ubuntu 16.04
>> > SVN version is 1.9.3
>>
>> You'll have to take a look at the error log on the server (or ask a
>> sysadmin to do that for you). There should be more information about
>> the reason for the 500 Internal Server Error.
>>
>> --
>> Johan
>
> Dear Sir:
>
> Attachment is my SVN server log , as described earlier ,
> when my user commit data and finally will wait for 10 minutes after the failure
> I check SVN Log not show any detail message about this error.
> and during that time keep monitor SVN server performance is normal
>
> The only relevant is committing transaction will wait for 10 min and reply error.
> In access log have show execute MERGE at 18:48:53 and after 10 minutes (18:58:54) show delete
> error log shows Could not MERGE resource at 18:59:47
>
> I don't have any idea for this error message can do something
>
> I try to adjust ./subversion http-timeout and apache2.conf ,
> but did not solve it successfully.
>
> May I know have any advice can provide?
>
> Thank you for your help
>
>

You should focus on the first series of errors in the error log. Which is this:

[Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799933 2018] Could not MERGE resource
"/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/4-e" into "/svn/0_IT_test/Bill".  [500,
#0]
[Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799948 2018] An error occurred while committing
the transaction.  [500, #160014]
[Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799950 2018] Reference to non-existent node
'_2j3j.0.t4-e' in filesystem '/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'  [500,
#160014]

I think the essential part of the error message is this:

Reference to non-existent node '_2j3j.0.t4-e' in filesystem
'/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'

I'm not sure what that means, but I'd check for any corruption of the
repository. I googled that "Reference to non-existent node" message,
and found one potentially relevant post (and some very old ones, all
about repository corruption):

https://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-08/0013.shtml

So I'd try:
* svnadmin verify
* svnadmin dump (sometimes dump find problems that verify misses)
* svnadmin recover (this apparently helped the user in the post I
referred to above)

And check for anything unusual on a storage level, verify the filesystem etc ...

--
Johan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Apache SVN commit fail

Johan Corveleyn-3
Hi Bill,

Please use "reply all" to keep the mailinglist in cc, so others can
help as well.
And as I said before, we prefer "bottom-posting" on this list, or
inline replying (if at all possible). Anyway, some more info below ...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 3:10 AM, Bill Huang-黃靖翔
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Johan
>
>
> Thanks for your relpy !
>
> I create a new SVN server and create new repository
> But commit file still have a problem
>
> May I know SVN commit file have any limit ?
> Such as commit file size total can't exceed 10GB ?
>
> Because when I commit less file (total size 1G) it can normal.
> But when commit a lot of file (total size about 50GB) it will fail
>
> Error message as I submitted to you before

For context, I'm pasting the error messages from the previous mail:

    [Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799933 2018] Could not MERGE resource
"/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/4-e" into "/svn/0_IT_test/Bill".  [500,
#0]
    [Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799948 2018] An error occurred while
committing the transaction.  [500, #160014]
    [Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799950 2018] Reference to non-existent node
'_2j3j.0.t4-e' in filesystem '/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'  [500,
#160014]

You also said:
>> > SVN server is ubuntu 16.04
>> > SVN version is 1.9.3

Good thing that you reproduced it on a new, clean repository. This new
repository is on a similar environment, with the same SVN server
version?

Since you mentioned that the error only occurs if the total size of
the commit gets large, the first suspect is the back-end filesystem. I
think SVN internally has no (practical) limit on the total size of the
commit. But in the end a commit becomes a single "rev" file on the
back-end. The size of that rev file depends on the incoming files, and
compression and deltification that the server applies.

In the error message above that back-end filesystem is on
'/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'. If you take a look there, you'll see
directories 'revs', 'transactions', 'txn-protorevs', ... Is there a
maximum file size limit on the level of the filesystem there? Is there
enough diskspace? Is there anything special with the way you set
things up? Are these local filesystems, or networked filesystems
connected via NFS or SMB? Did you perhaps mount 'revs' and
'transactions' from different filesystems? Any special write-caching
options that could be playing a role here? ... Those are all potential
areas for further investigation.

--
Johan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Apache SVN commit fail

Bill Huang-黃靖翔
Dear Sir:

Thanks for your reply

1.
Good thing that you reproduced it on a new, clean repository. This new repository is on a similar environment, with the same SVN server version?

Yes , same SVN server version .


2.
Since you mentioned that the error only occurs if the total size of the commit gets large, the first suspect is the back-end filesystem. I think SVN internally has no (practical) limit on the total size of the commit. But in the end a commit becomes a single "rev" file on the back-end. The size of that rev file depends on the incoming files, and compression and deltification that the server applies.

In the error message above that back-end filesystem is on '/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'. If you take a look there, you'll see directories 'revs', 'transactions', 'txn-protorevs', ... Is there a maximum file size limit on the level of the filesystem there? Is there enough diskspace? Is there anything special with the way you set things up? Are these local filesystems, or networked filesystems connected via NFS or SMB? Did you perhaps mount 'revs' and 'transactions' from different filesystems? Any special write-caching options that could be playing a role here? ... Those are all potential areas for further investigation.


May I know how do I setting it ? which file can I adjust ?
I think my SVN server is default setting, because I do not have adjust any setting.
And my server is physical machine Dell-R230 and free space is 1.4T , so I think diskspace is normal

Attachments for my settings and server status
And I just setting attachments file 02 and 03
May I know have any more setting about SVN how can I try to setting it



Thanks





-----Original Message-----
From: Johan Corveleyn [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:23 PM
To: Bill Huang-黃靖翔 <[hidden email]>
Cc: 黃靖翔 <[hidden email]>; Subversion <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Apache SVN commit fail

Hi Bill,

Please use "reply all" to keep the mailinglist in cc, so others can help as well.
And as I said before, we prefer "bottom-posting" on this list, or inline replying (if at all possible). Anyway, some more info below ...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 3:10 AM, Bill Huang-黃靖翔
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Johan
>
>
> Thanks for your relpy !
>
> I create a new SVN server and create new repository But commit file
> still have a problem
>
> May I know SVN commit file have any limit ?
> Such as commit file size total can't exceed 10GB ?
>
> Because when I commit less file (total size 1G) it can normal.
> But when commit a lot of file (total size about 50GB) it will fail
>
> Error message as I submitted to you before
For context, I'm pasting the error messages from the previous mail:

    [Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799933 2018] Could not MERGE resource "/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/!svn/txn/4-e" into "/svn/0_IT_test/Bill".  [500, #0]
    [Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799948 2018] An error occurred while committing the transaction.  [500, #160014]
    [Thu Jan 18 18:59:47.799950 2018] Reference to non-existent node '_2j3j.0.t4-e' in filesystem '/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'  [500, #160014]

You also said:
>> > SVN server is ubuntu 16.04
>> > SVN version is 1.9.3

Good thing that you reproduced it on a new, clean repository. This new repository is on a similar environment, with the same SVN server version?

Since you mentioned that the error only occurs if the total size of the commit gets large, the first suspect is the back-end filesystem. I think SVN internally has no (practical) limit on the total size of the commit. But in the end a commit becomes a single "rev" file on the back-end. The size of that rev file depends on the incoming files, and compression and deltification that the server applies.

In the error message above that back-end filesystem is on '/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'. If you take a look there, you'll see directories 'revs', 'transactions', 'txn-protorevs', ... Is there a maximum file size limit on the level of the filesystem there? Is there enough diskspace? Is there anything special with the way you set things up? Are these local filesystems, or networked filesystems connected via NFS or SMB? Did you perhaps mount 'revs' and 'transactions' from different filesystems? Any special write-caching options that could be playing a role here? ... Those are all potential areas for further investigation.

--
Johan
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain information of Unizyx Holding Corporation that are privileged / confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, disclose, distribute, copy, or use this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

01.png (25K) Download Attachment
02.png (23K) Download Attachment
03.png (16K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Apache SVN commit fail

Johan Corveleyn-3
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Bill Huang-黃靖翔
<[hidden email]> wrote:

I (Johan Corveleyn) wrote:

>> Since you mentioned that the error only occurs if the total size of the commit gets large, the first suspect is the back-end filesystem. I think SVN internally has no (practical) limit on the total size of the commit. But in the end a commit becomes a single "rev" file on the back-end. The size of that rev file depends on the incoming files, and compression and deltification that the server applies.
>>
>> In the error message above that back-end filesystem is on '/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db'. If you take a look there, you'll see directories 'revs', 'transactions', 'txn-protorevs', ... Is there a maximum file size limit on the level of the filesystem there? Is there enough diskspace? Is there anything special with the way you set things up? Are these local filesystems, or networked filesystems connected via NFS or SMB? Did you perhaps mount 'revs' and 'transactions' from different filesystems? Any special write-caching options that could be playing a role here? ... Those are all potential areas for further investigation.

> May I know how do I setting it ? which file can I adjust ?
> I think my SVN server is default setting, because I do not have adjust any setting.
> And my server is physical machine Dell-R230 and free space is 1.4T , so I think diskspace is normal
>
> Attachments for my settings and server status
> And I just setting attachments file 02 and 03
> May I know have any more setting about SVN how can I try to setting it

I'm not talking about a setting in SVN. I'm talking about the
filesystem on which the svn backend (/var/lib/svn/0_IT_test/Bill/db)
is stored. That's /dev/sda1 if I read your screenshots correctly. Is
that filesystem capable of storing such large files?

Okay, so it has enough diskspace, and it's a local disk. What is the
type of the filesystem? I think 'mount' should show you that. Maybe
you can perform a couple of tests outside of SVN, to just test the
disk? For instance, try to create a file of 10 GB (with 'dd' or
something), then 20 GB, 50 GB (don't forget to clean them up again
:-)).

I'm also wondering whether "write-caching" could play a role here.
Perhaps you can take a look and see if disabling it fixes the problem.
See for example these articles:
    https://linuxconfig.org/improve-hard-drive-write-speed-with-write-back-caching
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/01/disable-disk-caching-prevent-data-loss/
(I'm just guessing here -- not sure if it's related and if it's the
way to go -- but maybe you can eliminate this by trying it out)

That said, I'm not very proficient in Ubuntu or Linux in general.
Maybe someone else on this list can help more.

P.S.: one of your screenshots contained a visible password. I strongly
suggest you change that, since this is a public and archived
mailinglist.

--
Johan