Quantcast

405 method not allowed error

Eric Brown-2
Hello-

I'm trying to checkout my working copy. using the following command:

svn co http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc .

I get the following error:
svn: PROPFIND request failed on /
svn: PROPFIND of / : 405: Method not allowed

Here's my relevent info: I can pass more if needed.

httpd.conf

user svn
group svnown

DocumentRoot /export/subserv/repos

Load Module dav_module
Load Module dav_svn_module
Load Module authz_svn_module

<Location /svn>
DAV svn
SVNPath /export/subserv/repos

#access policy
AuthzAVNAccessFile /etc/svn-access-file

#authenticate
Require valid-user

#how to authenticate
AuthType Basic
AuthName "repos"
AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
</Location>

<Directory /export/subserv/repos>
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Directory>

ls -l /export/subserv/repos
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown README
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown conf
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown dav
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown db
-rwxrw-r-- svn:svnown format
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown hooks
-rw-r--r-- svn:svnown index.html
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown locks
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown pilot

Apache error log says:
Access denied 'username' PROPFIND svn:/

Apache access log says:
PROPFIND / HTTP/1.1 405 236 svn/1.0.4 neon/0.24.7

I can access the repository fine using my browser.
Any insight into what I'm doing wrong, or have misconfigured would be helpful.  Thanks.

-ecb

RE: 405 method not allowed error

Gifford, Noel

Eric,

The subversion checkout command only works on directories.  If you’re actually trying to checkout a file (foo.doc) then it won’t work.

You can get the file using   svn cat http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc  > foo.doc

Using the cat command will not keep history and you won’t be able to check changes back in.

Generally, you’d use   svn  co  http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera  to checkout the entire directory

Noel

-ecb

Re: 405 method not allowed error

Eric Brown-2
Thanks for the tip Noel, but that didn't work as well.  Same error message.  This is true when I try svn up and svn log.

-ecb

On 11/7/05, Gifford, Noel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Eric,

The subversion checkout command only works on directories.  If you're actually trying to checkout a file (foo.doc) then it won't work.

You can get the file using   svn cat <a href="http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc  > foo.doc

Using the cat command will not keep history and you won't be able to check changes back in.

Generally, you'd use   svn  co  <a href="http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera  to checkout the entire directory

Noel

Re: 405 method not allowed error

svn-5
It sounds like your Apache is restricting the HTTP methods allowed against the
server.  http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/protocol
lists all the protocols you will need to give access to.

There's probably a <Limit> statement somewhere in your httpd.conf that needs
changing. Since I don't actually use WebDAV I can't help you much more than that,
though.

Good luck,

David

> Thanks for the tip Noel, but that didn't work as well. Same error message.
> This is true when I try svn up and svn log.
>
> -ecb
>
> On 11/7/05, Gifford, Noel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Eric,
>>
>>  The subversion checkout command only works on directories. If you're
>> actually trying to checkout a file (foo.doc) then it won't work.
>>
>> You can get the file using svn cat
>> http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc > foo.doc
>>
>> Using the cat command will not keep history and you won't be able to check
>> changes back in.
>>
>>  Generally, you'd use svn co http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera to checkout
>> the entire directory
>>
>>  Noel
>>
>>   ------------------------------

Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos
> I'm trying to checkout my working copy. using the following command:
>
> svn co http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc .
>
> I get the following error:
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on /
> svn: PROPFIND of / : 405: Method not allowed

There may be a Web proxy between the Apache server and you.

Dimitri Papadopoulos

Re: 405 method not allowed error

Eric Brown-2
Thanks for the input.  I doubt there's a proxy.  I'm on the local machine where the repository is, trying to access using http.  My access logs on apache have PROPFIND messages comng across, so I think it's hitting the web server OK.  Also, there are no LIMIT statements in my apache configuration.  I'm going to accessing via file:/// this time; to see if the problem is my configuration file.

-ecb

Re: 405 method not allowed error

Pim Bliek-3
Hi,

Look in your apache error.log, it will explain more about what went wrong.

Pim

Eric Brown wrote:

> Thanks for the input.  I doubt there's a proxy.  I'm on the local
> machine where the repository is, trying to access using http.  My
> access logs on apache have PROPFIND messages comng across, so I think
> it's hitting the web server OK.  Also, there are no LIMIT statements
> in my apache configuration.  I'm going to accessing via file:/// this
> time; to see if the problem is my configuration file.
>

> -ecb

Re: 405 method not allowed error

Eric Brown-2
I believe I'm on the right track now.  I had an old working copy out on the server.  I can now run all of my svn related commands on the local server.  I'm still getting the same 405 error when I try to checkout or commit via the Tortoise GUI on the client box.  I can authenticate and view the file in the repos browser.

Eric Brown wrote:

> Thanks for the input.  I doubt there's a proxy.  I'm on the local
> machine where the repository is, trying to access using http.  My
> access logs on apache have PROPFIND messages comng across, so I think
> it's hitting the web server OK.  Also, there are no LIMIT statements
> in my apache configuration.  I'm going to accessing via file:/// this
> time; to see if the problem is my configuration file.
>

> -ecb

Re: 405 method not allowed error

Eric Brown-2
Problem fixed.  There was no proxy in place (as I suspected), but I checked the working copy URL and discovered it was from an old repos I used in my initial subversion setup.  An svn switch using the GUI client did the trick.

Here's what I did on the server:

1) svn status (to see my working copy)
2) svn cleanup (to remove any locks)
3) svn log (just to run an svn command)
4) svn list (to see the working copy directories)

on the client box:

1) svn switch (to new URL where I wanted the working copy)
2) svn add (to mark the additional files I wanted to add)
3) svn update (habit)
4) svn commit

It's working great now.  Thanks

-ecb